ATK alarm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rkpetersen
2 things,

1-how do I make my sump pmup turn off after x:xx time running? Photo below of current settings.

2-What do I add to my email alarm to notify me the the designated pmup has been running to long?

Screenshot_20200602-130351_Apex Fusion.jpg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change the When timer to something greater than 000:00, and add this to your EmailAlm program:

If Error PMUP Then ON
(where PMUP is the name of your PMUP’s output.

See my ATK tutorial for more details:

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change the When timer to something greater than 000:00, and add this to your EmailAlm program:

If Error PMUP Then ON

I have the pmup error code there already. Just needed a run time. Had a hiccup up today and fmm module disappeared from fusion, causing pmup to turn on until float turned off.

No idea why fmm just disappeared from fusion causing this.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If Error PMUP Then ON

Line 25 in photo, I've tried "time" and "SUMP_PMUP" for run time alarm. Wont accept. What am I missing.

Screenshot_20200602-175141_Apex Fusion.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put the time in the When On code for the pump.
In this case, it looks like you want it to be five minutes or 005:00.
Then, in your email/alert/notifier code, you add:
If Error SUMP_PMUP Then ON

This will turn off the pump and send you an alert.
You'll have to then manually set the pump back to AUTO on the dashboard.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pmup error code there already. Just needed a run time. Had a hiccup up today and fmm module disappeared from fusion, causing pmup to turn on until float turned off.

No idea why fmm just disappeared from fusion causing this.

Sorry that happened. Definitely shouldn't. Are all your connections good? Updated software and firmware?
But this kind of thing happens and it's why I put overrides and notifier code on everything.
Also amp/watt warnings for anything plugged into an EB832 120V outlet.
The one time I had an Apex failure, a few years ago now, I really wasn't expecting it and felt pretty panicky.
Decided then and there to learn enough that I'd never feel that way again!

Last edited:

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a sensor that glitched, rather than the FMM module itself, one solution might be to manually set all the sensors on the FMM module page to their correct types, rather than trusting them to auto-detect. If you're not changing the sensor often or at all, as most people won't, auto-detect just adds another potential failure point. (Although this known issue with auto-detect has reportedly been fixed in software for some time now.)

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a sensor that glitched, rather than the FMM module itself, one solution might be to manually set all the sensors on the FMM module page to their correct types, rather than trusting them to auto-detect. If you're not changing the sensor often or at all, as most people won't, auto-detect just adds another potential failure point. (Although this known issue with auto-detect has reportedly been fixed in software for some time now.)
Was the module. All connections good. I feel sometimes I have to much neptune ****, and that's the reason it likes to mess with me haha.

Ok, I had sump error line already. I understand now why it didn't notify. Was the "time" line like you've both said. I added it to 5min. So it should now alarm me if it runs for that 5 minutes right?

From time to time it does this. Puff a module disappears (along with anything attached to it). In this case it was the two sump opticals and two flow meters.
Which in turn just let the pmup continually run as there was no optical to shut it off.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that happened. Definitely shouldn't. Are all your connections good? Updated software and firmware?
But this kind of thing happens and it's why I put overrides and notifier code on everything.
Also amp/watt warnings for anything plugged into an EB832 120V outlet.
The one time I had an Apex failure, a few years ago now, I really wasn't expecting it and felt pretty panicky.
Decided then and there to learn enough that I'd never feel that way again!
I should really add amp/watt alarms. But to be honest I fully understand 98% of the programming, just not amp/watt side of things. As I run 4-832s, 1-eb4, 3 cor20s, a dozen modules, two dos..etc etc. Honeslty I wouldnt know where to even start.....

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should really add amp/watt alarms. But to be honest I fully understand 98% of the programming, just not amp/watt side of things. As I run 4-832s, 1-eb4, 3 cor20s, a dozen modules, two dos..etc etc. Honeslty I wouldnt know where to even start.....

It's actually pretty straightforward.

The most important items for monitoring amperage and wattage are your pumps. Return pump, circulation pumps, skimmer pumps, reactor pumps. First thing to do is go to the Input Logs page, pull down to the Energy Data items, and choose the amps (ends in 'A') or watts (ends in 'W') chart for the specific pump. Make a note of the normal amperage or wattage for that device over a week. (Ignore periods when the device is off.)

When a pump fails, it can either lose power, which results in a drop in wattage, or it can jam or experience other issues which will result in an increase in amperage. So, the two conditions you want to set alarms for are low wattage and increased amperage. For wattage, a good alarm point is less than 50% of the normal. For amperage, a good alarm point is 50% greater than the normal.

Power alarms can be written explicitly in the base_email output. For example, my skimmer typically draws 0.3 amps and 25 watts. So my two alarms conditions read:
If Output Skimmer Amps > 0.5 Then ON
If Output Skimmer Watts < 15 Then ON

The amperage alarm condition will also work to warn you if the input to a pump is suddenly obstructed. Say for example that you have starfish in your sump, as I do (food supply for harlequin shrimp). If a starfish wanders into the skimmer water inlet, blocking it, the pump amperage goes up and sends you a warning. I've had this happen a few times.

You then repeat this process with every device you want to monitor. For devices without a motor or moving parts, such as lights and heaters, the wattage set point is more important and more likely to be triggered when the device fails.

A different way of setting the power alarms is to do so from the Inputs page for each device's amp or wattage meter. Choose the power input you want to set an alarm for, then click on the Advanced tab, and then enter the appropriate number for When Below Minimum or When Above Maximum. The Inputs page will then show that that meter is alarmed, by a checkmark under the bell on the right.

It's probably best to use one or the other method to set the power alarms. If you try to do some one way and some the other, it can get confusing and possibly result in overlapping values. I do all of my power alarms in the base_email output, so I can review all of them together.

The EB4 and EB8 don't offer this functionality for each outlet, only the EB832.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually pretty straightforward.

The most important items for monitoring amperage and wattage are your pumps. Return pump, circulation pumps, skimmer pumps, reactor pumps. First thing to do is go to the Input Logs page, pull down to the Energy Data items, and choose the amps (ends in 'A') or watts (ends in 'W') chart for the specific pump. Make a note of the normal amperage or wattage for that device over a week. (Ignore periods when the device is off.)

When a pump fails, it can either lose power, which results in a drop in wattage, or it can jam or experience other issues which will result in an increase in amperage. So, the two conditions you want to set alarms for are low wattage and increased amperage. For wattage, a good alarm point is less than 50% of the normal. For amperage, a good alarm point is 50% greater than the normal.

Power alarms can be written explicitly in the base_email output. For example, my skimmer typically draws 0.3 amps and 25 watts. So my two alarms conditions read:
If Output Skimmer Amps > 0.5 Then ON
If Output Skimmer Watts < 15 Then ON

The amperage alarm condition will also work to warn you if the input to a pump is suddenly obstructed. Say for example that you have starfish in your sump, as I do (food supply for harlequin shrimp). If a starfish wanders into the skimmer water inlet, blocking it, the pump amperage goes up and sends you a warning. I've had this happen a few times.

You then repeat this process with every device you want to monitor. For devices without a motor or moving parts, such as lights and heaters, the wattage set point is more important and more likely to be triggered when the device fails.

A different way of setting the power alarms is to do so from the Inputs page for each device's amp or wattage meter. Choose the power input you want to set an alarm for, then click on the Advanced tab, and then enter the appropriate number for When Below Minimum or When Above Maximum. The Inputs page will then show that that meter is alarmed, by a checkmark under the bell on the right.

It's probably best to use one or the other method to set the power alarms. If you try to do some one way and some the other, it can get confusing and possibly result in overlapping values. I do all of my power alarms in the base_email output, so I can review all of them together.

The EB4 and EB8 don't offer this functionality for each outlet, only the EB832.
Sweet. Maybe I'll spend some time this weekend and try setting this up. Thanks again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back