ATK v2 - what's new?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the differences are between the original ATK and ATK v2? I just watched the official video () and from what I can tell, they have new optical sensors and new PMUP.

The old optical sensors were prone to failing. Mine have gotten 'stuck' on several occasions, despite being clean. Unplugging them from the FMM was the only thing that would get them working again. I've read it is due to micro fractures in the plastic insulation, but I can't confirm that. Regardless, if they've redesigned the insulation to be more durable it would be an improvement.

I've never had an issue with my PMUP, but stories of PMUP failures are all over. A lot of these seemed to be related to the impeller, which makes me think they had issues with their supplier. Regardless, the PMUPs rating was something like 2.5/5 stars at BRS. According to the video, it has run-dry protection, thermal protection and protection from lodged obstructions. I'm guessing that all of these are the same (thermal protection.) It's very likely that many of the previous failures were caused by either debris or the magnet swelling causing the impeller to stick and that in turn causing the motor to over heat and fail, so a simple thermal fuse may go a long way towards making them more reliable.

Are there any other differences people are aware of?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they fixed the fmm module issues. Mine kept locking up.
I am guessing they also fixed the sensors.. they had bunch of issues as you described.
Glad newer one is out

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they fixed the fmm module issues. Mine kept locking up.
I am guessing they also fixed the sensors.. they had bunch of issues as you described.
Glad newer one is out

The standalone software is updated to be more reliable. I don't think there is a software update if you're using it with an Apex.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What the differences are between the original ATK and ATK v2? I just watched the official video () and from what I can tell, they have new optical sensors and new PMUP.

The old optical sensors were prone to failing. Mine have gotten 'stuck' on several occasions, despite being clean. Unplugging them from the FMM was the only thing that would get them working again. I've read it is due to micro fractures in the plastic insulation, but I can't confirm that. Regardless, if they've redesigned the insulation to be more durable it would be an improvement.

I've never had an issue with my PMUP, but stories of PMUP failures are all over. A lot of these seemed to be related to the impeller, which makes me think they had issues with their supplier. Regardless, the PMUPs rating was something like 2.5/5 stars at BRS. According to the video, it has run-dry protection, thermal protection and protection from lodged obstructions. I'm guessing that all of these are the same (thermal protection.) It's very likely that many of the previous failures were caused by either debris or the magnet swelling causing the impeller to stick and that in turn causing the motor to over heat and fail, so a simple thermal fuse may go a long way towards making them more reliable.

Are there any other differences people are aware of?

You mention debris in the pump and so does the video. What types of ATO are y’all running where there is debris in your water? This should be the cleanest container in your whole system.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worked out well for me, lol. Sold like 300 stands that hold an optical sensor (to protect the pump):D
You know its funny when I saw this video my first thought was of you and your stands. :D Yours still has the optical sensor which is cool. Time for V2 ;)

It is good they are finally fixing the pump though, easy to tip over and if you let it run dry it would die.

Any chance of releasing this without the FMM? For those of us that have one already.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know its funny when I saw this video my first thought was of you and your stands. :D Yours still has the optical sensor which is cool. Time for V2 ;)

It is good they are finally fixing the pump though, easy to tip over and if you let it run dry it would die.

Any chance of releasing this without the FMM? For those of us that have one already.
They are releasing the pmup separately as well

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The standalone software is updated to be more reliable. I don't think there is a software update if you're using it with an Apex.

Good! That was one of the issues I had when I used it in standalone mode. One of the big issues was that any alarm would require you to cycle the power to reset it. When used with an Apex the standalone software is irrelevant; you can program it exactly how you want.

You mention debris in the pump and so does the video. What types of ATO are y’all running where there is debris in your water? This should be the cleanest container in your whole system.

People used the pumps for other things to, but Kalk was a big issue, I know. To be fair, a lot of pumps have issues with talk. My guess is they had issues with the impeller magnets splitting and swelling, causing them to seize and burn out the pump. They installed thermal protection which protects against that as well as the other issues mentioned. (like any good marketer, they took a single feature and made it into as many features as they could.)

BRS has the PMUP2 listed for sale, I didn't check on the sensors, but I imagine they'll be available, too. The only other components are the magnetic bracket and the FMM. What were you thinking of?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only companies allowed trade in discounts for products they know have issues. They sold sub par products to many people, and now solved the issue and make you buy it again to fix them.

I know it’ll never be the case, but makes ya wonder about not buying more...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only companies allowed trade in discounts for products they know have issues. They sold sub par products to many people, and now solved the issue and make you buy it again to fix them.

I know it’ll never be the case, but makes ya wonder about not buying more...

I disagree with your assessment.

Is apple wrong to release new iPhones? To do software updates?

There isn’t anything “wrong” with improving your product. The original pump should not be run dry, or it can burn out. Just like your powerheads, return pumps; etc.

The new version is upgraded with tech from the COR line, so it will shut off instead of burn up.

With your logic, they should never improve their products.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optical sensor issues is hardly a running dry issue.

A locking up FMM is hardly a running dry issue.

Nobody said they can’t or shouldn’t improve them, what I did say, was that they clearly know of issues with a product but do not take care of the affected user other than making them repurchase a new one.

I will agree to disagree and step to the side. To each their own...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optical sensor issues is hardly a running dry issue.

I don’t know enough about the optical sensor issues. But I don’t have the numbers to know how widespread that issue was. After a year some would get water intrusion?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know enough about the optical sensor issues. But I don’t have the numbers to know how widespread that issue was. After a year some would get water intrusion?
It was wide spread enough for v2 to have diffrent sensor...

U

User1

View Badges
Are we sure that the sensors are available and can be replaced in the existing v1 ATK's?

If the price is right I'd consider replacing them if it isn't too bad along with the new pump.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has the PMUP2 listed for sale, I didn't check on the sensors, but I imagine they'll be available, too. The only other components are the magnetic bracket and the FMM. What were you thinking of?
Literally everything except the FMM and power adapter. I don’t believe they ever sold the sensor mount/float valve and the sensors as a separate item. You needed to get everything including the FMM which is a huge chunk of the cost. Sounds like that may change which is great.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back