ATO float question

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO float doesn't seem to stop dripping. Is that normal? Last night it had slowed to almost nothing. Today at 2 pm its dripping a little fast. Its a brand new Bulk reef float positioned in the sump return chamber. Is it normal? This is the first one I have used. The salinity was fine this morning.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try lifting it all the way up with your hand. Does it stop dripping? If so; top up your sump with 1.025 SG saltwater to the level where the float stops.

It is designed to continue to feed RO water back into your tank if the sump level is low.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does stop when I lift it. I'll try to top off thank you.
Good! :) Then we know it's working.. So just top up your sump with a fresh batch of saltwater to that level- sit back and enjoy your tank! Happy reefing!

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope nothing is wrong. I had an old Kent Marine Float on there and it would not stop dripping. So I bought the Bulk Reed Float and was hoping that would be it. But then it started doing the same thing. I did jist top it off. Oddly enough the salinity is higher than this morning without adding anything. I don't think that the sump leaks. The floor is not wet. But why does it just drip for hours? I did top it off. I put a little too much water in. The float is underwater. Its a 120 sump. I keep teo sections covered with glass tops. The return section is open fully.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The section of the sump where the ato float sits is the lowest section of the sump. Its the last chamber where the return pump sits. And the skimmer. The ato will shut off when raised to a certain level but it just doesn't seem to reach that level. Although it was much more slow a day before. But I filled the sump enough to shut it off. I'll see if it autocorrects. Or otherwise I don't k ow why it doesn't do its job.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The section of the sump where the ato float sits is the lowest section of the sump. Its the last chamber where the return pump sits. And the skimmer. The ato will shut off when raised to a certain level but it just doesn't seem to reach that level. Although it was much more slow a day before. But I filled the sump enough to shut it off. I'll see if it autocorrects. Or otherwise I don't k ow why it doesn't do its job.
If the lowest compartment in your sump does not reach the level of your ATO, you either don't have enough water in your system or you simply need to move the float down to the desired level you want.

1. Add more water yo your system to match the level of the float in it's "off" position - or:
2. Move your float down to match the water level in your sump

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a secondhand sump that ran a long time before me. The bucket has water in it above the ato and it is quite full so it should level the sump chamber which is what its supposed to do. So I'm not sure why it didn't level out. I did put enough water in the sump to close the valve. When it evaporates I'll see if if starts working. Just can't figure out why it never caught the water level up shut itself off. Or if it was going to. I was having the same problem wih the old float.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled the sump until the drip stopped. Now with evaporation its dripping again. Is this normal? I guess I just watch the salinity right? But with old float the salinity was dropping. Any reason this might not be working?
IMG_0150.jpeg
IMG_0151.jpeg

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a question about my ATO. It's gravity fed through the Octo slim flow. I got it working again and it only fills the chamber when the ball float is in a 45 degree angle. It cuts off when the float is straight down???? Being that it is in the chamber in front of the return pump, the ball float stays at a 45 degree angle most if not all the time. Is this supposed to be the correct way?

BigUgliesNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try lifting it all the way up with your hand. Does it stop dripping? If so; top up your sump with 1.025 SG saltwater to the level where the float stops.

It is designed to continue to feed RO water back into your tank if the sump level is low.
Can someone pls help me with my question on my ATO float? My float only distributes water when it is in a 45 degree angle??? When it is straight down...it stops???? There is a reason I am a cop and not an engineer but that sounds kinda illogical dont it?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back