ATO issues

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze nano auto top off with a float switch. I was lucky enough to be around when a stomatella snail decided to crawl up and block off the float. I am usually unable to see my fish tank for two days on the weekends and I am concerned about my main pump burning up when the ATO shuts off for safety and the water level gets to low. If anyone knows a better solution I am all ears :) I am tempted to purchase a different ATO system with multiple sensors or maybe fabricating a screen net around my single sensor?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze nano auto top off with a float switch. I was lucky enough to be around when a stomatella snail decided to crawl up and block off the float. I am usually unable to see my fish tank for two days on the weekends and I am concerned about my main pump burning up when the ATO shuts off for safety and the water level gets to low. If anyone knows a better solution I am all ears :) I am tempted to purchase a different ATO system with multiple sensors or maybe fabricating a screen net around my single sensor?
For peace of mind, consider an ATO with BOTH a float sensor and a prism/optical sensor. For mine, I don't run the risk of low water levels, I run the risk of high water levels, as sometimes the float sensor gets stuck and I get a flood of new RO. I've since added the Aqua Gadget water level sensor, and it shuts off my ATO if water levels rise above normal. In fact, that happened this morning :p Took my ATO sensor out and cleaned it to restore it to normal operating conditions.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the limitation of the Tunze Nano. The Tunze OSMOLATOR UNIVERSAL 3155 has an optical sensor for the primary level control and float switch for emergency shutoff. It is considered by many to be the most reliable, proven ATO system on the market. Mine has been perfect - even when I went WAY too long without cleaning the sensor. It was encrusted with stuff and still working fine.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the limitation of the Tunze Nano. The Tunze OSMOLATOR UNIVERSAL 3155 has an optical sensor for the primary level control and float switch for emergency shutoff. It is considered by many to be the most reliable, proven ATO system on the market. Mine has been perfect - even when I went WAY too long without cleaning the sensor. It was encrusted with stuff and still working fine.
Preach!

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For peace of mind, consider an ATO with BOTH a float sensor and a prism/optical sensor. For mine, I don't run the risk of low water levels, I run the risk of high water levels, as sometimes the float sensor gets stuck and I get a flood of new RO. I've since added the Aqua Gadget water level sensor, and it shuts off my ATO if water levels rise above normal. In fact, that happened this morning :p Took my ATO sensor out and cleaned it to restore it to normal operating conditions.
Ooooh I will have to look into getting one of these aqua gadget sensors seems like a really smart idea!

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into this one too! I already have the pump and float sensor maybe I can buy it piece meal and save some $$.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Tunze. I just ordered another because my controller might have failed (moisture?). I tried a hydor as an emergency back up and it’s garbage. The osmolator has spoiled me.

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Tunze. I just ordered another because my controller might have failed (moisture?). I tried a hydor as an emergency back up and it’s garbage. The osmolator has spoiled me.
After doing some research I believe this is the correct way to go. Will be ordering one soon!

ReeferMaddne$$

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely go with the 3155 or try something different like the IM Hydrofill TI.

I've been running a Hydrofill for a few months and love it so far.

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tunze has a internal setting that will shut off the pump after being on for a few minutes. it is preset on the nano and can be modified on the regular version i think. apex with breakout box and few floats is the best imo. it is cheaper than a third party ATO if you already have the apex

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the good features with the varios return pumps.

I have one of the Coral Box DC pumps from Reef Breeders in there right now. I believe all of their pumps come with the float switches. Even the skimmer has one complete with a hole in the lid for mounting the float. Kicks the skimmer off instead of overflowing everywhere if the cup gets full.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the Coral Box DC pumps from Reef Breeders in there right now. I believe all of their pumps come with the float switches. Even the skimmer has one complete with a hole in the lid for mounting the float. Kicks the skimmer off instead of overflowing everywhere if the cup gets full.
That feature is one of my next purchases, especially with my work travel.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still learning all of the new innovations in the last 10 years. I don't recall seeing this 10 years ago in the hobby this is really cool for peace of mind
This is my first SW. Been looking at them for 20 years but was always being deployed or tight on money. COVID kept me from spending money and now here I am.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back