ATO needs

Irish1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Anyone link or recommend an ATO that allows me to plug any pump I want into it? I want something like the old Tsunami AT-1. I dont trust the JBJ ATO. I just had my PRISM ATO pump fail (its a small cheap pump so yeah). Unfortunately I cant just hook up any pump I want to that one either. I cant seem to find anyone that sells the Tsunami AT-1 anymore (Sad times).

I searched the forums previous discussions on ATO and found this gem http://www.autotopoff.com/
I bought the dual sensor one with bracket.

Delete at your leisure admin.

Last edited:

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Irish1983

Irish1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you trust the JBJ? I have 2 of them and they work just fine.
Im not a fan of optical sensors in general. Ive had them fail more than mechanical switches. In particular I have had the JBJ "shut off" but not cut power to the top off pump. I take care of tanks for a living (Got me through college and now the pandemic), and I dont install JBJ ATOs nor Hydor ATOs anymore. I also have tried the ReefBreeders Prism ATO on three setups and ive had one fail to the last optical sensor (last sensor turned the pump off) and this one im replacing has had its pump die (which isnt a style a store would stock to go pick up and are cheaply made). If it works for you thats great. Opticals Just dont work for me in the long run. Super happy about the autotopoff.com builds. I can put a sicce on it and carry similar pumps on hand.

OP
OP
Irish1983

Irish1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should clarify that I like JBJ products in general, and that the one most commonly used isnt an optical sensor, but its still failed me more than once on more than one unit.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a fan of optical sensors in general. Ive had them fail more than mechanical switches. In particular I have had the JBJ "shut off" but not cut power to the top off pump. I take care of tanks for a living (Got me through college and now the pandemic), and I dont install JBJ ATOs nor Hydor ATOs anymore. I also have tried the ReefBreeders Prism ATO on three setups and ive had one fail to the last optical sensor (last sensor turned the pump off) and this one im replacing has had its pump die (which isnt a style a store would stock to go pick up and are cheaply made). If it works for you thats great. Opticals Just dont work for me in the long run. Super happy about the autotopoff.com builds. I can put a sicce on it and carry similar pumps on hand.

I see... Mine don't use optical sensors. only a simple float switch. 1 inside the sump to start the pump and shut it off, and 1 inside the reservoir to stop the pump from running dry.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back