Ato or dosing pump

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of using one head of my dosing pump as a ato ..

I can calculate the evap per day .....
but the only thing I’m having a hard time with calculating is I have a dehumidifier running to keep humidity between 55-50

does humidity effect the evaporation rate ?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yes, absolutely by definition. The higher the humidity the less evaporation .I would guess one could get away with using the dosing pump as an ato but it can never be accurate and would need constant adjustment

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 100%possible to use a doser as an ATO but at the cost of constant adjustment as the climate changes and IMHO piece of mind. Not trying to sway you just my observations from researching the matter. I found some people would dose just under their evaporation rate and manually top off the difference once a week to avoid chasing ever fluctuating numbers. An ATO would just be set and forget.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 100%possible to use a doser as an ATO but at the cost of constant adjustment as the climate changes and IMHO piece of mind. Not trying to sway you just my observations from researching the matter. I found some people would dose just under their evaporation rate and manually top off the difference once a week to avoid chasing ever fluctuating numbers. An ATO would just be set and forget.
I’ve also read some ato units do fail
I’ve always manually topped off from a bucket .
Topping off 5 gal every week or 10 days isn’t as stable as I’m looking for

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

same failures can be said for dosing pumps vs ATO’s

I had the same reservations before getting an ATO. I can’t ever imagine going back to manual top off. I also had fears on dosing pump failures and that hasn’t happened either.
I have the Aqua Duetto ato. And the Jebao DP4 ... both cheap but works as it should for year and half.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most ATO have a auto shut off of say the float switch is stuck and it pumps water for a minute without the float turning it off it’ll shut off and not turn on until you reset it. I’m using the 100$ tunze ATO and I love just filling my water chamber once a week and the ATO keeping everything nice. Plus my skimmer works better without the flux in water level

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes some atos fail, some dosing pumps also fail, an argument can be made that all our equipment will fail, don't let sway your decision. Out of all my equipment I worry about my ato the least. I'm much more scared of my dosing pump dumping all the alk solution at once, yikes knock on wood.

I read one guy using a doser lost 1gal per day to evaporation, he set his doser to add 9/10ths of gallon a day having only to top of 1 gallon every 10 days. He tried to narrow this down but was never able to because of the many veriables in his environment. You can absolutely achieve some level of stability using a doser, it's just going to take alot more work than an ATO.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATO is the only thing I would consider. I have tried the peristaltic in and out and it needs constant calibration, particularly if your freshwater reservoir is up or down from your display/sump.

JBulk09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spend the money on an ato, if you dont you will will eventually. Pull the trigger!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back