ATO placement

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sump is in a closet behind my tank. So can i just setup a bucket or bin up high, and on the bottom of the ATO put the line to feed the return section of sump, put in a float switch, and call it a day?

do i need to circulate the water in the ATO reservoir?

am i missing something?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sump is in a closet behind my tank. So can i just setup a bucket or bin up high, and on the bottom of the ATO put the line to feed the return section of sump, put in a float switch, and call it a day?

do i need to circulate the water in the ATO reservoir?

am i missing something?
If you place it up high above the out put there is a chance it can syphon into your tank if the valve fails and flood it.

I might go for a tunze, etc ato. They have some redundancies built in it to prevent your ATO from flooding your tank if the float valve, etc gets stuck. Like a timer to only let it run so long. The more expensive have a optical sensor, and float valve, and timer. So three things to prevent it.

I don't cycle mine. But I would suggest drilling tight holes for your lines. Prevents debri from getting in and evaporation. I started with a bucket and switched to a black water jug and my consumption was cut in half.

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about running the RODI line from my current location (in the kitchen) down into the crawl space and 50 feet across the house and up into my sump tank closet and straight to a float.

is this safe? b/c if the float got stuck, it wouldnt be 5 gallons on the floor, it would be and endless water supply.

maybe split the line and have one coming under my DT too, this way i can just fill a bucket of fresh water any time i need to rinse something.

i live in NY, could get cold down there, i guess i would just need to insulate the line?

Last edited:

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this system, but only about 2 gallons in the reservoir.

It's been well over 2 years and the valve hasn't failed yet. Knock on wood

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about running the RODI line from my current location (in the kitchen) down into the crawl space and 50 feet across the house and up into my sump tank closet?

is this safe? b/c if the float got stuck, it wouldnt be 5 gallons on the floor, it would be and endless water supply.

maybe split the line and have one coming under my DT too, this way i can just fill a bucket of fresh water any time i need to rinse something.

i live in NY, could get cold down there, i guess i would just need to insulate the line?

I'd have to think about that more. Do you have a mixing station? Where is it?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your original plan with the bucket above the sump would work just fine, but as mentioned if the float valve (you said float switch but I assume you meant valve) sticks open the entire bucket will empty into your tank.

Running a rodi line directly to a float valve in the tanks is a bad idea. If your rodi system is setup to make water anytime it's needed without you having to turn it on, then if the float valve sticks open you have an endless supply of water that can be dumped into your tank. If the float valve doesn't stick open and works as expected your rodi unit will be making small amounts of water frequently which leads to tds creep and the water going into your sump for top off won't be filtered properly.

Of those 2 options I would absolutely pick the bucket.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you place it up high above the out put there is a chance it can syphon into your tank if the valve fails and flood it.

I might go for a tunze, etc ato. They have some redundancies built in it to prevent your ATO from flooding your tank if the float valve, etc gets stuck. Like a timer to only let it run so long. The more expensive have a optical sensor, and float valve, and timer. So three things to prevent it.

I don't cycle mine. But I would suggest drilling tight holes for your lines. Prevents debri from getting in and evaporation. I started with a bucket and switched to a black water jug and my consumption was cut in half.
I kept the bucket idea, and drilled a hole in one of the lids.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your original plan with the bucket above the sump would work just fine, but as mentioned if the float valve (you said float switch but I assume you meant valve) sticks open the entire bucket will empty into your tank.

Running a rodi line directly to a float valve in the tanks is a bad idea. If your rodi system is setup to make water anytime it's needed without you having to turn it on, then if the float valve sticks open you have an endless supply of water that can be dumped into your tank. If the float valve doesn't stick open and works as expected your rodi unit will be making small amounts of water frequently which leads to tds creep and the water going into your sump for top off won't be filtered properly.

Of those 2 options I would absolutely pick the bucket.
Yes agreed. I was trying to think of a way he could feed a resiovor either in his kitchen or in his closet with the rodi line. Then feed his tank from that. But kinda need more info.

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks everyone, ill go with some type of reservoir. maybe ill also run an RODI line in the crawl, this way i dont have to manually fill up the reservoir by walking pitchers of water across the house. and can just open a valve for a couple minutes.

no i dont have a mixing station. i roll a 32 gallon brute into the kitchen before i go to bed and fill that up with RODI water. when i wake up i roll that back into my office where the DT is and mix in that. (i try to limit my wife seeing fish tank stuff all around the house)

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks everyone, ill go with some type of reservoir. maybe ill also run an RODI line in the crawl, this way i dont have to manually fill up the reservoir by walking pitchers of water across the house. and can just open a valve for a couple minutes.

no i dont have a mixing station. i roll a 32 gallon brute into the kitchen before i go to bed and fill that up with RODI water. when i wake up i roll that back into my office where the DT is and mix in that. (i try to limit my wife seeing fish tank stuff all around the house)
Yeah, I think that's a good plan. I was going to say if you had a mixing station you could pump it from there to fill up a reservoir quickly.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back