ATO Reservior in remote location Help (Pump selection and Plumbing)

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im trying to get away from refilling my 7 gallon ATO container every weekend with new freshwater. Im gonna purchase the Tunze switched outlet adapter for the Osmolator ATO system and connect it to a pump in my 45 gallon RODI water container in my subbasement......which actually isnt that far away.

I just want to make sure I do this right the first time. I want to buy a pump large enough to do the job, but not one thats gonna be dumping a ton of water in the sump before the controller can shut it off. So Im hoping there are some folks on here that have some experience with pump selection and plumbing something like this in.

So heres the plan -
From the Pump in the bottom of the container im gonna come up with hose 30" to hit a bulkhead/union connected to the lid of the container, from the other side of the union im planning to change over to PVC, or CPVC, some type. Im gonna go up another 4' (which makes almost a 7' vertical jump to the first 90 degree bend, after this first bend there is about another 10' of horizontal piping to do with either 3 more 90 bends or 2 more 90 bends with one 45 bend.

So this makes a total of about 16 or so feet of total conduit for the water to push through with 4 90s. 7' of which is vertical.

Does anyone have any recommendations for pump size? a type or brand of bump to use? Size of pipe? Type of pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out pan world pumps. You would have to plumb for it being an external pump though. I use one to refill my tank during water changes. Pumps from my basement to first floor, directly above. Go to BRS and click on any of their pumps and it shows the panworld chart with which pump, wattage and head pressure height. I wish I remembered off hand which one I have, possibly the 100px.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a BRS 50ml top off doser. You can use RODI tube to make the run. The BRS doser can plug into the Tunze switched outlet. It is what I plan to use.

joethenathan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Little Giant sump pump would be more than enough. They’re built to cycle on and off as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back