ATO sensor question

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up an Aquasmart ATO Lite, and it was working fine a day ago, but not so sure anymore. I'm seeing that the water level is around 2mm below the "ATO Level Sensor" in the diagram below. But the pump isn't kicking in. I tested the unit by raising the sensor higher, and it kicks in. Something is not right here as I"m assuming the pump should turn on if the water level just passes below the ATO Level Sensor - is this correct?

I took the sensor out of the water and made sure it was clean or anything obstructing it as well. Thoughts?

1667825659959.png

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same ATO. My water drops below the ATO Level sensor a little bit as well but it eventually kicks on. Just let it do it's thing and keep an eye on it if you are unsure.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same ATO. My water drops below the ATO Level sensor a little bit as well but it eventually kicks on. Just let it do it's thing and keep an eye on it if you are unsure.
Thank you - I was under the impression that the sensor is super accurate and to the point that even the slightest drop in the water line just below the "ATO Level Sensor" would kick the pump in, but as you and I both experience, it's not the case.

When your pump does kick in, where is the water level relative to the sensor? Mine fills, but it is around 3 mm below the sensor, which is what I was thinking that the unit was faulty.

Cheers

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested mine, taking 10ml out at time. It does drop a little bit below the sensor point before it kicks on. When it's done filling up, it's a little above the sensor point.

By the way, to anyone who sees my post, I'm about to shoot myself in the foot:
amazon
These are <$60 on Amazon, I use two of them on my main and QT tank. I ditched my $200 tunze because it failed within 1.5 years and I'll never go back.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing about this but the pic looks like it has a line and arrow BELOW the sensor you pointed out so, is that where the water level is actually stabilizing for you?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up an Aquasmart ATO Lite, and it was working fine a day ago, but not so sure anymore. I'm seeing that the water level is around 2mm below the "ATO Level Sensor" in the diagram below. But the pump isn't kicking in. I tested the unit by raising the sensor higher, and it kicks in. Something is not right here as I"m assuming the pump should turn on if the water level just passes below the ATO Level Sensor - is this correct?

I took the sensor out of the water and made sure it was clean or anything obstructing it as well. Thoughts?

1667825659959.png
I have the same device but under different branding. Mine works well. Where do you have it located? If in the main display, wave fluctuations may influence. Mine is in the "back chambers" which almost got me in trouble when the level there was not synced up with the main display.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested mine, taking 10ml out at time. It does drop a little bit below the sensor point before it kicks on. When it's done filling up, it's a little above the sensor point.

By the way, to anyone who sees my post, I'm about to shoot myself in the foot:
amazon
These are <$60 on Amazon, I use two of them on my main and QT tank. I ditched my $200 tunze because it failed within 1.5 years and I'll never go back.
Sounds like your's is working different than mine in terms of when it stops after filling up. Mine stops just below the sensor:

1667907483006.png

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same device but under different branding. Mine works well. Where do you have it located? If in the main display, wave fluctuations may influence. Mine is in the "back chambers" which almost got me in trouble when the level there was not synced up with the main display.
I have it located in the back chamber where the pump is located. Water levels aren't the same level as the display - I don't think that matters, but now you have me second guessing - what were you referring to when you said it almost got you in trouble?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it located in the back chamber where the pump is located. Water levels aren't the same level as the display - I don't think that matters, but now you have me second guessing - what were you referring to when you said it almost got you in trouble?
It got me in trouble because I made filter changes and then left for 3 days. It had run flawlessly for over a month before I made changes.

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it really make that much of a difference?
For the record, when I have it unplugged and then turn it back on, I make sure my water level sits between the two black lines before I plug it in.
1668040703645.png

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it really make that much of a difference?
For the record, when I have it unplugged and then turn it back on, I make sure my water level sits between the two black lines before I plug it in.
1668040703645.png
It learns. When you unplug it, you erase its memory. It measures the time it runs each time it is triggered and has a fail safe of never running more than 6 times its average run time. I unplug mine when I do water changes. That is why I hit a fail point.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back