Ato siphon issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter tb582
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tb582

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2023
Messages
217
Reaction score
56
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using this ATO but seem to continually have a problem with the plastic check valve not working or at least not completely stopping the flow from my ATO.


Amazon product ASIN B0C5DZ769T
Is there some type of secondary small vertical float valve that will act as a backup to ensure the water stops flowing ? Unfortunately I don’t think the tubing is standard RO 1/4 …


My ATO sits next to the sump and is much taller, so the tubing comes out of the ATO the check valve is installed and then it runs down into my sump -

Any ideas ?

image.jpg
 
How bout a float valve? As a bonus, it gives you an added level of protection in case your ATO ever malfunctions and gets stuck on. Eshopps even makes a little bracket so you don’t have to drill the sump. Though you could probably DIY something yourself if you don’t want to spend $40. The float valve alone is only $5-10.

IMG_4398.png
 
Another option I’ve seen folks do is to feed the ATO tube into the top of a piece of PVC sticking out of the sump higher than the water level of the ATO reservoir like this. Sump on left, reservoir on right. Black is the PVC pipe, green is the ATO line.
IMG_4399.jpeg
 
Hard to say without knowing the tube diameter. . . maybe this:

https://www.marineandreef.com/Smart...MItp_c2-GEhwMViiutBh2I9wIpEAQYAiABEgKbHfD_BwE
Is the check valve you currently have placed above the level of the reservoir?
Yes where that little check valve is coming out of is the top of the ATO reservoir…
How bout a float valve? As a bonus, it gives you an added level of protection in case your ATO ever malfunctions and gets stuck on. Eshopps even makes a little bracket so you don’t have to drill the sump. Though you could probably DIY something yourself if you don’t want to spend $40. The float valve alone is only $5-10.

IMG_4398.png

I actually bought that specific one figuring the same but I can figure out a way to get it in/on the sump and be the directions it needs to be …. Thinking I night need something smaller AND that has standard RO inputs and I have no clue what size the tubing that came with the ATO but it’s not 1/4 RO :(
 
Yes where that little check valve is coming out of is the top of the ATO reservoir…


I actually bought that specific one figuring the same but I can figure out a way to get it in/on the sump and be the directions it needs to be …. Thinking I night need something smaller AND that has standard RO inputs and I have no clue what size the tubing that came with the ATO but it’s not 1/4 RO :(
Sounds like the first thing to do is figure out what size tubing you are working with and figure out a way to retrofit/adapt it to standard RO tubing. Then the possibilities really open up for you.
 
Yes where that little check valve is coming out of is the top of the ATO reservoir…


I actually bought that specific one figuring the same but I can figure out a way to get it in/on the sump and be the directions it needs to be …. Thinking I night need something smaller AND that has standard RO inputs and I have no clue what size the tubing that came with the ATO but it’s not 1/4 RO :(
You may already know this, but you can loosen the plastic nut and change the orientation of the float valve which can help get it into small spaced (I had that same float in back of an AOI aquarium,)
 
There are 2 kinds of check valves. Those that fail, and those that are going to fail. The best option here is to elevate the discharge end of the tube so it is high enough to not be ABLE to siphon, the pvc option suggested is a good one.
 
There are 2 kinds of check valves. Those that fail, and those that are going to fail. The best option here is to elevate the discharge end of the tube so it is high enough to not be ABLE to siphon, the pvc option suggested is a good one.
Then it’s gotta stick wayyy out of my sump and look ugly or I gotta move the ATO somewhere else below the sump which isn’t ideal but maybe
 
Then it’s gotta stick wayyy out of my sump and look ugly or I gotta move the ATO somewhere else below the sump which isn’t ideal but maybe

Not sure why it would be any different then other plumbing in the sump area.

You could also run it up to the display.
 
Small hole in the tubing inside and at the top of your reservoir or the pvc option already offered are your only true fail safe option. The hole in tube is the lessor of the two since the hole might clog if you top offwith kalkwasser.
 
This is what I do. If syphone happens the check cable lets in air to break it. The valve is always closed otherwise.
To be clear, that is a tee in the line and the cleck valve will never actually see or touch water.
Notes_240701_094201.jpg
 
Can't you just add a small hole at the top of the hose inside the top off container (since water will spray when on) to act as siphon break? Just don't fill past the hole.
I’ll probable give this a go …
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new