ATO Strong Magnet Warning -- Lesson Learned

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a ATO to my little 13.5 Fluval. I purchased the Tunze 3152. For those that don't have one of these it comes with the two magnets that have a piece of cardboard between them. Says right on them "Warning Strong Magnets"... uh ya they are not kidding.

I just had to test them out, and well... I was worried for a minute they were never coming apart again. I suppose I'm the poster child for product warning failures. Next up Hair Dryer in the shower I guess.

I'm I the only one to give in to curiosity?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the whole warning....you can't even get them near each other on the workbench or it's a hazard. B)

A buddy had two snap together on his finger from several inches apart on a workbench. Ow!!! Yes it left a mark!

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine catch me right of the side of my finger. Left me with a blood blister after I got them apart.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just joined the club too. Geez did they really have to be this strong?just hooked it up after the coral vue Smart ATO magnet wet side rusted out.

Right now I just put both sensors on the large magnet but I see why they say use both. The high warning alarm is really touchy so I need to put that float sensor on the separate magnet so it’s not so close as the level of the other sensor.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got mine apart. Held one magnet with pliers clamped around the perimeter, then tapped the other one with a hammer and they finally slid enough off center that I could slide them apart.

No more high water warning if I put my arm in the tank or sump or shut off the skimmer. The smart ATO doesn’t warn on high water, only if it pumps water too long.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes strong magnets can be quite dangerous. I bought a couple of really powerful ones from KJ Magnetics. Put them too close and they snapped together. I actually had to put them into my vice (not easy as said vice is also metal) and use vice grips to get them apart. Of course, they ultimately still were not strong enough to work through 1" acrylic.

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ginormous disclaimer for my magnetic products. I have to print out a full sheet of warnings and include it with every magnet order. Attorney said so.

https://octoaquatics.com/magnet-warning/

wow thats quite a disclaimer.

who burns magnets? thats a thing? its amazing what you have to warn against anymore.
should just remove all these warnings. in a decade or so this will all just become "common sense" again.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to my wife....she wasn't happy. Somehow, during the screaming, it became my fault the magnets snapped together on her finger o_O
It's always our fault Waters. The sooner you accept this, the happier you will be. :rolleyes:

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also caution when applying to the glass. If it snaps hard enough on thin enough glass i would imagine it could crack it? I know i had one snap onto the tank and it sounded like a hammer hitting it. I now set the magnet away from where the other one is at and slide it into place.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always our fault Waters. The sooner you accept this, the happier you will be. :rolleyes:
Lol, yeah.....I have learned to just accept responsibility right from the beginning to avoid any future conflict related to my next reef purchase.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap... I have that overpriced Hammerhead algae scraper by Algae Free and they snapped on my finger when I was trying to put them back in the box. I've never felt such a strong magnet for aquarium use. I'm actually surprised it doesn't crack the glass when cleaning.

They use those rare earth neodium magnets that are super strong, and they use big ones. I have no doubt it could break your finger. I have to store them back to back because if they clamped together normally it would be very difficult separating them. I think the magnet strength is why they're so expensive.

jozer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to my wife....she wasn't happy. Somehow, during the screaming, it became my fault the magnets snapped together on her finger o_O

Funny my wife always says the same thing
I think we need to make sure we aren't married to the same wife. Or maybe they're all sisters lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back