ATO System?

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started looking into an ATO and my goodness they want a bunch of money for it. I'm really into DIY, but have no idea if you can make anything other than the container(container I can handle).

I would really appreciate any advice on the best way to accomplish this or if DIY isn't possible what unit is most reliable and doesn't take to much money away from my livestock fund!!!:)

Thanks!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can...
I did something similar to the image below...
atodiagram.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can cut the ends off a standard two or three prong power cord, and use any 12v power supply you happen to have laying around the house.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
total cost was under $25...
without the Lifter Pump

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, this is perfect! I should also rephrase the above statement, my husband is excellent at DIY, I can do the simple things! This is my hobby, but he is totally willing to help me accomplish anything I need done! I have a Tom aquatics dosing pump is that what I should use?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did what @143MPCo showed above using the DIY kit from Aquahub HERE.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom's will works but depending on how much evaporation it might not be a big enough pump, so you might need to upsize IF it's not meeting the needs.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom's will works but depending on how much evaporation it might not be a big enough pump, so you might need to upsize IF it's not meeting the needs.
Right now I'm adding a gallon a day!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll be fine with a tom's.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again for all of your help, it is very much appreciated!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again for all of your help, it is very much appreciated!
np problem, TOM Pumps are rated for 3.5gph flow rate to 30 inches height...

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you used one float switch as a cut off in the ATO tank of the water got too low, and another in the tank to tell the pump when to kick off correct?

I'm going to design a circuit board with a relay on it and incorporate a timer to shut the pump off after a certain amount of time. I've never used a commercially available ATO so I was wondering how most of the better ones worked.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Tom's.....I lose about 1 - 1 1/2 gallons a day and have no problems with a Tom's. I'm also a back-up fanatic and suggest you pick up the rebuild kit.....BRS sells them for under $5 HERE.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm adding a gallon a day!

So you used one float switch as a cut off in the ATO tank of the water got too low, and another in the tank to tell the pump when to kick off correct?

I'm going to design a circuit board with a relay on it and incorporate a timer to shut the pump off after a certain amount of time. I've never used a commercially available ATO so I was wondering how most of the better ones worked.

You certainly can set it up that way, but I'd first suggest you double the float switches in your sump/DT, because the primary will fail. I installed the Aquahub in 2008 and I think it was 2014 when the primary float failed. Luckily I had the second one there to keep the sump/DT form overflowing.

IMG_1612.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

one float in the sump, standard orientation.
the second float in the ATO reservoir inverted orientation, stop the flow of power from the 12v power supply when the reservoir is empty.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did what @143MPCo showed above using the DIY kit from Aquahub HERE.
This would be the easiest route! I will let my husband decide if the price difference is worth it!
Agree with Tom's.....I lose about 1 - 1 1/2 gallons a day and have no problems with a Tom's. I'm also a back-up fanatic and suggest you pick up the rebuild kit.....BRS sells them for under $5 HERE.
This is good to know! I will definitely buy one! Thank-you!!!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an FYI, SSR have no mechanical movement so they tend to lasts longer with no signal noise.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back