BRS
Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Anyone know why the price of just a small 5 gal ATO storage tank is so frikin high? $200+ for a 5 gal? really? $300+ for 10 gal???
WHY???
I know they are made from acrylic but is that material really that expensive or what??
I honestly cannot tell you other than people wanting a sexy acrylic box that matches their sexy acrylic sump.

5 & 10 gallon Petco aquarium hold the same amount of water for less than a lunch at shake shack.

Corals.com
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
this is mine and it ain't Ghetto, at least I dont think so
20210803_201500_HDR.jpg

LeftyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I use a Pet Food storage container called a Vittles Vault for ATO container. Holds 50# of dryfood, or about 13 gallons of liquid (RODI water). It has a 14" square footprint.
It has a big screw on top (gamma seal lid) that makes filling and installing a pump easy. 100% food grade plastic (BPA and BPS free)
I've checked TDS in the container and even sent the water out for an ICP RODI test and it all came back clear.
Been using it for about a year now with no issues. Cost me $40 at petco.

Zoanthids

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’d like a matching acrylic ATO container, but the pet food container doesn’t look bad, has been working without any issues for almost 4 years, and only cost $10.

KStatefan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Anyone know why the price of just a small 5 gal ATO storage tank is so frikin high? $200+ for a 5 gal? really? $300+ for 10 gal???
WHY???
I know they are made from acrylic but is that material really that expensive or what??

There is more then just acrylic to build one, CNC router to cut the material, laser to etch the markings on it, custom sized to fit your stand, custom colors if you want them.

You can purchase standard size ATO acrylic container for less then you stated.

I used a 13 gallon dog food container in a closet.

Zoanthids
OP
BanZI29

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
There is more then just acrylic to build one, CNC router to cut the material, laser to etch the markings on it, custom sized to fit your stand, custom colors if you want them.

You can purchase standard size ATO acrylic container for less then you stated.
that is somewhat true. I just found an ATO tank on BRS for about $110, but still. over $100 to me, just seems way high. I guess I'm a Cheap **** huh :)

MichaelReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Maybe most do but, not everyone. I simply do not have the space to hide it.

IMG_5348.jpg

I'm in the same boat, I have no room in my stand so I got a nice acrylic one. to put on the side. Not to mention my lady didn't want a home depot bucket in the corner of the house lol.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
crazy right. but each to the own. I have been using dallor per gallon tanks for my ATO res for years go chep lid is 1/4" plate glass with the corner cut off for the tubing.

my nano is using a 10 gal and my reef is using a 29H. but will be moving to a 50 gallon barrel if I even get my mixing and AWC station built.

in a pinch you got an extra tank too if you need it.

BRS

Do you quarantine new coral before adding it to your reef tank?

• YES always

Votes: 78 17.9%
  • Sometimes depending (tell us why)

Votes: 52 12.0%
  • NO never

Votes: 293 67.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 2.8%
LA