Ato

ethom0816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sick of adding water every day in your opinion what's the best ato I was looking at the diy ones but idk which pump to get for them

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pump that can push water from the reservoir to the tank

OP
OP
E

ethom0816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want a gravity fed one so probably be better off just buying one

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of interest why are you against Gravity fed for your need?

I run my RSR 250 off it’s stock gravity fed ATO and my QT/HT has a homemade gravity fed ATO. I like the fact they continuously top up to maintain stable salinity.

For the QT/HT I simply clean the float occasionally, generally when I shut down or start it up and manually fill it every 5-6 days. For the DT I clean the float every 6 weeks or so and have a low level optical sensor in my sump as a backup. In the DT I run a Neptune ATK daily to keep the ATO full automatically so I never have to refill it.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a sumpless ato by xtaqua for my office 20 long, it's great. I would look at their regular ato for a sump install. Personally, i'll be adding the xtaqua ato to my new tank when it comes in. The price was good, and install was super easy.

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use icecap ato but I'll be honest float switches scare the crap out of me. However if your float valve fails it will dump the entire reservoir into your sump on a gravity fed one.

I think I'm going icecap then putting a back up level sensor to kill power if starts going above the normal op line.

Then again your rodi barrel is relying on a single float valve to shutoff the supply also.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of interest why are you against Gravity fed for your need?

I run my RSR 250 off it’s stock gravity fed ATO and my QT/HT has a homemade gravity fed ATO. I like the fact they continuously top up to maintain stable salinity.

For the QT/HT I simply clean the float occasionally, generally when I shut down or start it up and manually fill it every 5-6 days. For the DT I clean the float every 6 weeks or so and have a low level optical sensor in my sump as a backup. In the DT I run a Neptune ATK daily to keep the ATO full automatically so I never have to refill it.
Can you run kalk in your gravity fed or does it clog up too quickly?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot afford to go cheap on an ATO. Osmolator is world-class, IMO. If you DIY one, make sure that the reservoir is really small so that if/when it fails or sticks open, then it does not damage... but small reservoir ATOs are not any less work than just adding water.

Take the mindset that there are two types of ATO - those that have failed, and those that will... so look for triple redundancy and reliability first.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back