Atoll's reef after 39 years in the hobby.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an amazing tank!

Is that a sand sifting diamond goby? Do you have issues with that dumping sand on the corals on the sandbed?

Thanks! :)
It's a

Blue Dot Goby – Valenciennea sexguttata

They don't lift the sand much above the bottom unlike some of the other sand sifting gobies.

cbnspanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit about me.
Am an old geezer now 70 years of age. I have had around 12 tanks in the 39 years I have been keeping marines in all those years. Sometimes I have had a couple of tanks, often just the one. I have had tanks from nanos to a130 gallon reef tank. I have moved house a few times for various reasons and have never taken a complete setup with me although I have with some equipment. Fish, corals, rocks and tanks sold on.

Most of my tanks and equipment is secondhand inc my current tank, lights, reactors etc etc.

My current tank is a D-D 1500s pro reef with modified sump. I wouldn't know what to do with a standard sump apart from modify it of course to my liking and ideas. The first thing I did was to take out the filter sock holders and a glass baffle.

I don't use any prefiltration what so ever, no socks, roller mats or filter wool. I do have a Reef Octopus 150sss classic skimmer however.
I have a Oxydator model A running 12% peroxide along with 2 catalysts. I have a small amount of Siporax and 2 bio blocks in a basket in there. Sitting on the sump is a Turbo Aquatics waterfall ATS that I have had all the LEDs replaced as it's a good few years old and in doing so added another 4 LEDs on each side making 12 each side. On the screen I grow mainly Ulva intestinalis.

I have a small Aqua Medic reactor running a small amount of iron oxide to keep on top of PO4 and have just added a reactor with a small amount of pellets to get my NO3 down lower. The ATS keeps my NO3 stable but Ideally I want it lower then the ATSvis hopefully keep it there. I have an Aqua Medic kalk stirrer fed by a peri pump with runs through the night on a constant drip rate.

My lights are 2 x Orphek Atlantic V4 gen 2s I bought secondhand and a OR120 blue plus light bar.
Water movement is provided by my return pump, 2 x MP40 QDs and a Jebao gyre.

Here is a pic of the tank complete with live rock to which I have just added more (looks white at the rear of the tank)
20200309_161029.jpg

Pic of my sump.
20200306_202041.jpg
I’m starting a new tank tomorrow and purchased an oxydator because of the threads I’ve seen you on and your passion about them. Do you think it will help me have a lesser ugly phase with algae?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a new tank tomorrow and purchased an oxydator because of the threads I’ve seen you on and your passion about them. Do you think it will help me have a lesser ugly phase with algae?
That's a difficult question to answer as there are so many variables and no 2 tanks are the same. However, it may well reduce the chances of cyno and perhaps diatoms. As for GHA some do report the oxydators bhave helped get rid of it.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been experimenting (as I do) with first a couple of Asta 20 freshwater daylightvLED spot lights over my Magnifica anemone which worked quite well. Magnifica nems seems to enjoy the daylight spectrum around 6500k. Looked a bit untidy however.
I decided to sell the Asta's on eBay and put the money towards a Kessil 160WE freshwater spotlight. I am experimenting with the power and colour temperatures, so far so good. Can't say I have noticed any great improvements over the Asta's but I only have it on around half power at the moment.
20220511_181634.jpg
20221118_185218.jpg
20221111_155307.jpg
20221111_145614.jpg
20221111_194603.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popped onto a LFS today, first time since Christmas. Wasn't intending to buy anything and certainly not a fish but came out with another flameback angel. That makes 5 now, well you can't have equal numbers of a species can you.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Icons are doing well on my tank, no issues, everything just as I would like them, SPS and LPS all looking good. Check out my video on my previous post above this one.

Are those the Orphek mounting bars? How high can you raise them above the waterline?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those the Orphek mounting bars? How high can you raise them above the waterline?
Yes on tank mounting bars. Orphek recommend 16" above the tank and these can go at least that height. I have never measured how high they can go., might be in their spec if you check them out.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, after doing the math with the extensions they sell it's $400.

I think I'll look into using aluminum bars instead.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, after doing the math with the extensions they sell it's $400.

I think I'll look into using aluminum bars instead.
Bought mine with a good discounts and the extension arms to attach my light bars secondhand. Having said that I have used aluminium angle to good effect in the past.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 fish in my 100 gallon that are there not just because I like them and they fit in with my other fish, they're also there to do a job each.
1/ Black leopard wrasse. To eat any possible coral eating bugs.
2/ A Copperband butterfly. To eat any Aiptasia's that get into the tank.
3/ A Mimic tang. To browse on any algae that pops up in the tank.

I don't see any of the 3 things I want to keep at bay in my tank.

I also have 2 chalk gobbies that help clean the top layer of my sand.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back