ATS or Fuge?

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving my tank (more on that later, LOL) and I am getting a new sump built, I am going to re-do my plumbing, and be putting in a manifold from my return pump. The manifold is going to feed my ecoBAK reactor and a GFO/Carbon reactor. And here is where my question(s) come in:

-Can I T off the manifold to feed a ATS?
a.) If yes should it be before or after the ecoBAK and Carbon?
-Or is it better to feed a ATS from a dedicated pump?
a.) If yes will a ecoPLUS 396 (will have one available) be enough flow?
-Will my current return pump (ecoPLUS 1262) be enough to feed two reactors and a ATS?

Or is a dedicated refugium the better alternative? I am unsure if the sump has been started on so I don't know if I can change the plans, there wasn't a refugium area added.

Thanks.

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running both a Refugium or ATS could be counterproductive, if you're also going to run a bio-pellet reactor. How big is your system? Would the fuge just be used for nutrient export?

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running both a Refugium or ATS could be counterproductive, if you're also going to run a bio-pellet reactor. How big is your system? Would the fuge just be used for nutrient export?

My system is 110 gallons, I am not planning on running both. I am leaning towards the ATS to help with pod reproduction and some natural food sources for the tank.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATS works way better than a fuge can. U could run it off a manifold yes. I run mine off my drain. If using a dedicated pump flow depends on length of tube it needs to go down its 35gph/inch according to algae scrubber site. Gime a shout if u wana come over one day and discuss and see mine again.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, would you T it off before the pellets? I am assuming yes.

Here's what I am thinking:

Return---> ATS---> ecoBAK---> Carbon---> Tank

The ATS will drain back into the sump, or could I just T it back into the return plumbing? What size pipe do you suggest? My return is 1", should I just T it off at 1" or to 3/4"?

Does this sound right?

Last edited:

SuperPro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in it's early stages, only be running it for about a month, but my cyano is already starting to die off.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 1" same as drains. U mentioned using a manifold and in that case nothing goes.inline they are all fed by their own ball valve and line. But just put it where u can have space to get the screen n and out and hang lights and change bulbs. But i have my return chamber in the middle so my ats on one side and ecobak and skimmer other side. I also have chaeto in the chamber below just for pods to chill and it grows slowly but stays nice dark green not dying off. Rocks in ur sump is a good way to populate with pods as well. I have a few rocks in all my chambers for pods and just to keep it live incase i need later

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 1" same as drains. U mentioned using a manifold and in that case nothing goes.inline they are all fed by their own ball valve and line. But just put it where u can have space to get the screen n and out and hang lights and change bulbs. But i have my return chamber in the middle so my ats on one side and ecobak and skimmer other side. I also have chaeto in the chamber below just for pods to chill and it grows slowly but stays nice dark green not dying off. Rocks in ur sump is a good way to populate with pods as well. I have a few rocks in all my chambers for pods and just to keep it live incase i need later

Ah, ok. I may come look at your set up again and check it out, I may not have enough room for bulbs on both sides of the screen. What screen did you use and where did you buy it? Did you drill holes to feed the screen or cut a slot?

Off my manifold.

Anyway you could post a pic?

Thanks for the input fellas.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used the knitting screen from walmart 10 sheets for like $2 and u dont replace.the screen so its basically negligible cost. Cut a slot.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea by cost u cant beat a diy ats like i use. So cheap and works better for the cost than anything at filtering water.

SuperPro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've seen my manifold, all I did was add a 90° then a union so I can take it off to clean. Cut the slot on my table saw, very easy to build. If you want to come check it out text me.Think I spent about $70-$80 on mine but most of it was on 4 reflectors and bulbs. It's way oversized right now but I needed to get rid of this cyano then ill build a smaller one for about a 3 cube a day feeding. Don't have a pic, phone is maxed out on storage, I'll try and get some room freed up and post one.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks Dale glad it's working out well for you. Have you noticed the frequency of glass cleaning being reduced? That is how I plan on plumbing mine.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont go buy the feeding sizes they say on algaescrubber site. My screen was sized for 4 cubes and still had nutrients climbing. Now im using sized for 8 cubes even tho i still only feed one cube/day. Luis had the same problem running an led acrylic scrubber.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I used to have to clean it almost daily, now maybe only twice a week.

Nice!

Dont go buy the feeding sizes they say on algaescrubber site. My screen was sized for 4 cubes and still had nutrients climbing. Now im using sized for 8 cubes even tho i still only feed one cube/day. Luis had the same problem running an led acrylic scrubber.

It's not going to be completely relied on to be my only nitrate and phosphate reduction method, I will still run the pellets. I don't think I am going to be able to fit a large screen, maybe six inches across. Do you get a lot of splash/salt creep from it?

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back