Attaching mushrooms

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up some cheap but beautiful mushrooms at my LFS, They weren't on frag plugs though. They just scraped them off the side of the tank, and I didn't know any better.

When I got home, I watched the Tidal Gardens video on Discosoma. "One of the few ways mushrooms meet an early demise is if they detach from the substrate they were holding on to and drift around the tank. For whatever reason, discosoma aren't so great at reattaching to anything."

I super-glued them to a bit of rock in my frag tank. A few stayed, but over half did not. I'm going to re-glue them and move them to a lower flow area, but from the video it sounds like my 'shrooms may be SOL. Any tips to try to save them?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in a cup filled with pea stones. This helps keep flow at a minimum so they don’t move around and you hope after a few weeks or whatever amount of time they attach to one of the stones. Than you can glue that to a plug

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in a cup filled with pea stones. This helps keep flow at a minimum so they don’t move around and you hope after a few weeks or whatever amount of time they attach to one of the stones. Than you can glue that to a plug
That worked well, until they got into display. I glued them all to frag plugs and put them in low flow areas. An urchin managed to pick up one of them a few days later. Another just disappeared.

Any hints on getting them firmly attached so they stay?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked well, until they got into display. I glued them all to frag plugs and put them in low flow areas. An urchin managed to pick up one of them a few days later. Another just disappeared.

Any hints on getting them firmly attached so they stay?
Looks like there were never any hints. Did you figure it out? I need to glue some if possible.

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of 6 total, I have two left, but they seem to be doing well.

I think my gravel was too small, so I only had a small piece they attached to glued to the frag plug. Get bigger pieces of rock in tupperware, give them a few weeks to attach and the put them where you want them.

I have another one that was in too much light. He moved to where he wanted to be, and I assume firmly attached himself in the process.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of 6 total, I have two left, but they seem to be doing well.

I think my gravel was too small, so I only had a small piece they attached to glued to the frag plug. Get bigger pieces of rock in tupperware, give them a few weeks to attach and the put them where you want them.

I have another one that was in too much light. He moved to where he wanted to be, and I assume firmly attached himself in the process.
Thanks!

OP
OP
pseudorand

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction. I have 3 left. I just found one more on the gravel (yes, I have crushed corals substrate) in a corner where there's low flow. It hasn't grown a bunch like the other two, but it's alive and quiet colorful. Could be the others are in there somewhere too where I can't see them.

Very exciting to find it. This hobby is such an emotional rollercoaster. At least it's financially consistent though (expensive!).

Last edited:

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the find! A local guy I met on this forum just gave me 2 frags of sinularia that would have been $70 each before shipping, so I have had a good day too.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a red solo cup and poke holes all around it. Put rubble rock and mushrooms in cup facing up towards your light. Give em a week or 2. Check em week after week. They will attack to the rock themselves. Hths
D

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back