Attaching SPS to glass?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an attempt to make space on my aquascape I want to move some of my sps to the back wall of my glass tank. I've looked at single magnetic frag racks and I've looked at the ocean wonders mag disks. I'm hoping these corals will permanently grow onto the back glass so I'm a little nervous about leaving a magnet in my tank that will eventually be encrusted over. Is this a valid concern or am I just over thinking it? Is it possible just to stick a frag plug to the glass with epoxy/super glue gel, maybe I can avoid the magnets completely.

Can sps corals even permanently attach to the glass and grow, I know I've seen it on plastic overflows but I'm not sure about glass. My glass is also covered in coralline algea, so would that help it stick or hurt it?

I need help making space so I don't have to quit buying corals.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would not recommend anything magnetic since you should always inspect magnets periodically for any corrosion, but once it gets encrusted with coral you won’t have access to it.

Not sure about glues or epoxy, so hopefully someone else can chime in with their experience.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued frags directly to raw glass without any issues. They will encrust it no problem. Just like the coralline algae.
Just superglue gel or that plus epoxy? Also do you think I would need to scrape off the coralline where I put them or just attach them to the coralline?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just superglue gel or that plus epoxy? Also do you think I would need to scrape off the coralline where I put them or just attach them to the coralline?
I used superglue when I'm doing a frag. If it's on a plug, I'll do the superglue/epoxy/superglue sandwhich. Dealers choice when it comes to removing the coralline or not. I have GSP that is growing over the coralline on the back glass, as well as a plating monti, without any issues.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would not recommend anything magnetic since you should always inspect magnets periodically for any corrosion, but once it gets encrusted with coral you won’t have access to it.

Not sure about glues or epoxy, so hopefully someone else can chime in with their experience.
Yea that is my concern is not having access to them in the future to check for corrosion.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used superglue when I'm doing a frag. If it's on a plug, I'll do the superglue/epoxy/superglue sandwhich. Dealers choice when it comes to removing the coralline or not. I have GSP that is growing over the coralline on the back glass, as well as a plating monti, without any issues.
I already have some gsp growing on my glass, and I have a chalice that is growing up (I'm honestly not sure if it's attached or not) my glass. I just wasn't sure if something like a birdsnest would be able to be able to grow onto a glass wall enough to support its weight. If not I could put some of my acroporas on the glass that IME seem to produce more of a base before growing out.

I just need to free up space and I really don't want to just throw away some of my hardier sps (birdsnests mostly) that have grown into fairly large colonies. But I need somewhere to put the corals that I just can't seem to stop buying.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread needs some pictures :)
Agreed. They're not the sticks I'm wanting to attach but I'll start.
20211221_171623.jpg

20211221_171645.jpg

Back