Attention Apex Users - Have questions on upgrade

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering upgrading from my RKL to an Apex light. I'm looking for some comments on those who are Apex users. I have a small system, total water volume of 55 gal and I'm looking to more accurately control Ph and temp. Ph will be maintained by a kalk drip in addition to my ATO and I would like to use one system for all of this. The RKL has been good for me in my previous AIO system however I'm looking toward the future and keep coming to the conclusion that the Apex may be money well spent.

I welcome comments, thoughts, suggestions, questions, etc.

Thanks.

Edit: Just noted that I put this in the wrong forum. I should have put it in the controller forum. Mods....can you please relocate for me?

Last edited:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the thread for you :)

Regarding the APEX, I LOVE mine. My Apex does everything on my tank, from monitoring pH and controlling temp to turning off certain outlets when certain conditions are present.

I use it for alerting for certain conditions as well, such as when my RO tank is full of new water, sump is too high, etc.

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex and LOVE it!! The best part of it, is its ability to do Variable Speed / Dimming built in on the higher end version. Plus it has an extra module for controlling Vortech pumps. With this controller it has made reef keeping so much easier and manageable.

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the thread for you :)

Regarding the APEX, I LOVE mine. My Apex does everything on my tank, from monitoring pH and controlling temp to turning off certain outlets when certain conditions are present.

I use it for alerting for certain conditions as well, such as when my RO tank is full of new water, sump is too high, etc.

Thanks for moving the thread.

Alerts are simply one of the features that are attracting me to the Apex. It seems that there's so much functionality with the Apex that it's nearly foolish to not have one.

I have an apex and LOVE it!! The best part of it, is its ability to do Variable Speed / Dimming built in on the higher end version. Plus it has an extra module for controlling Vortech pumps. With this controller it has made reef keeping so much easier and manageable.

When you say variable speed and dimming functions are built in on the higher end models I assume you mean the complete Apex system vs. Apex light? I thought you had to buy the VDM for either, but maybe I'm wrong.

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct the VDM is built in only on the Apex Complete system. And yes you have to buy the wireless module separate, but well worth the money if you have Vortech pumps.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy the VDM module and add that functionality later if you want, which is another reason I like the Apex.

My system looks like this:
  • Apex Display
  • Apex Main Unit
  • EB8 Bar
  • EB8 Bar
  • VXM Module
  • Breakout Box

OP
OP
C

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the attractive features to me as well, bt. I have a long term goal of using a controller to automate filling of my RO tank, manage a kalk reactor, manage temp, run the vortechs, and allow for remote access and control when I'm traveling. As much as my wife enjoys my tanks, she's not that good at managing them.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back