Ausie and Indo Frogspawn Identification and Compatibility

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefer's. I am in the process of making a Frogspawn garden. I have two 5 inch Ausie walls already in the main display. I have a third in quarantine that I will be adding later this week that I picked up at a LFS. They did not know if it was an Ausie or Indo. Trade in I believe. I think it is a branching peach tip but not 100% sure. My 2 Ausie's touch each other when expanded with no issues.
Can Ausie and Indo, branching and wall Frogspawn touch each other without issues?
How can you tell the difference between an Ausie and Indo?

20220111_083718.jpg
20220111_083845.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second pics more like an octospawn to me(multiple colored bubbles down the stalk, as opposed to a single bubble on the tip(frogspawn)). Yes still technically a frogspawn, but we call them octospawns in the hobby.

Never had an issue with frog/octo touching. Before I lost all my euphyllia a while back, I had indo and aussies touching without issues.

How to tell them apart..... No idea they look the same to me, but just had to go buy what the seller said they were.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All frogspawn species can touch^
On the flip side, where’d you find these pieces lol
The first pic with the two Aussie Wall Frogspawn are from Austin Aqua Farms. The pic with the single frog/octo where from a LFS I don't purchase from but I had a gift certificate I received as a Christmas gift so I picked out that little guy.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is the same type of coral (hammer next to hammer, torch next to torch, frogspawn next to frogspawn) you should be ok. I have seen torches jack up some frogspawn and hammers jack up torches etc. Honestly, I would still keep them as close to 6 inches apart if you can. They will grow eventually. And as far as the "gold" stuff, I have found the ones in my area to be ultra sensitive when it comes to torches and hammers. Hopefully your frogspawn is a strong and healthy one!

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it is the same type of coral (hammer next to hammer, torch next to torch, frogspawn next to frogspawn) you should be ok. I have seen torches jack up some frogspawn and hammers jack up torches etc. Honestly, I would still keep them as close to 6 inches apart if you can. They will grow eventually. And as far as the "gold" stuff, I have found the ones in my area to be ultra sensitive when it comes to torches and hammers. Hopefully your frogspawn is a strong and healthy one!
Thanks for the info. I have decided to keep my Aussie's and Indo's separated just to be safe.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back