Aussie Gold Receding

KatyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this last week. Opened fine for first few days. Now it looks like this. Should I dip or leave it alone? I can see the tentacles where it is receding, but worried if I don't do anything, it may die.

IMG_20200704_123341__01.jpg IMG_20200629_182917.jpg IMG_20200704_124235.jpg

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @KatyReefer

Looks like a great torch, sorry it’s giving you trouble. Everyone else looks great, but it still can’t hurt if you post you water parameters and your set up. I may try to move it’s location in the tank for a day or 2 to see how it responds to an area with more light and flow.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it another day. If it hasn’t improved I would do an iodine dip. I usually take extra precautions with euphyllia due to the chance of spreading brown jelly even if I don’t see it. And you have some other beautiful torches in there close by. Safe to say its not a parameter issue seeing as everything else is long and flowy. Good luck!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there and sorry to see your torch this way.

+1 on tank parameters

Some think aussie golds are notorious for only lasting a few days or weeks.

OP
OP
K

KatyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for responding. I did a iodine dip today. Honestly, I think it made it worse. First pic is after dipping. Second pic is now. The flesh is mostly gone. My heart is broken .

IMG_20200705_084100.jpg IMG_20200705_233518.jpg

Greg Goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussies golds are definitely more finicky than other torches. In my experience they like less light than most euphyllia and grow extremely slow. In the same amount of time my dragon soul torch has grown 10 heads my aussie gold has grown none, only extended slighty the two it had when I bought it. Most people that own them claim that they are difficult and many times fizzle out over a medium period of time. Obviously I'm missing something, because some reefers are able to grow them well and in "normal" time frames for torches. As is true for all corals and especially torches, it is important to have some nitrates and phosphates in the water for them to be healthy. That is something I overlooked for a period of time. I've owned my aussie gold for over a year, dragon soul 8 months, both started with two small heads.
IMG_5833.jpg

sabor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for your lost. I had an Aussie gold 1 head that did the same thing also. It was healthy for like 3 months than just started receding out of no where and look exactly like how yours did. I did the iodine dip (took someone’s advice) and it died the next day. Wish I saw this thread earlier to prevent that from happening.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss I had a three headed most Aussie and it decided to do the exact same thing. It’s gut-wrenching. I’ve held off on adding another one in favor of Indo torches which in my opinion are heartier and a little easier to care for.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back