!!!AUSSIE SPATH COLONIES KIND OF SUCK!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get any SPS to keep its color
I struggled for the longest time to get my SPS to stay colored up. I think I finally figured out my problem of too high dKH coupled with low nutrients. Not everyone's experience will be the same, but once I lowered my alkalinity and started actively trying to raise my nutrients I finally got my new stuff to keep its color and all those I had bleached are on their way to recovery.

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Ok see, its possible! That looks really good. Way different clearly but those colors have definitely settled in, in a good way. I really like the tips. Is that one getting any kind of special treatment at all? Maybe I should hang on to these...

Lighting is LED at about 400 PAR with our local clubs PAR meter. Nitrates run 10-15. I have noticed the color gets better the higher the nitrates go. When i first got it, it browned out quite a bit. A few months in the color came back and the red tips came out. There wasnt much polyp extension for the longest time. I hope it stays healthy.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a couple super bright ones in tank. Was getting blasted hard talking about 1k par. High no3 9 dkh

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very much so, it's changed colours a few times, stn'd.....but it's been doing well for a year now and starting to get some green in it

Outstanding! I think that looks really good man

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! Its been in the same spot in my tank for the entire time I've had it getting around 350 par. No one ever compliments my sweet spath, poor little guy.

Well, I think it looks great man. That's not an easy accomplishment. You have definitely beaten the odds by a lot on that guy as well:)

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For these we might need ULN conditions. Aussie handlers also use copper and zinc to reduce brown and pop the metallic color.
Precisely. Certain SPS species especially those the South Pacific need zeovit-type of water conditions + trace elements & metals to keep their shiny colours in our tanks.

Hoeksemai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2051.JPG

I got this one around a year ago... it turns to brown ugly color the first 4 months and after that it beggins to color up and today looks this way...

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had huge colonies of spathulata (2' - 3' dia) in my display for years with no problems. Fragged them over and over and gave them away to fellow refeers. Took them out only because the colonies got too big and have since redone the display without them.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had huge colonies of spathulata (2' - 3' dia) in my display for years with no problems. Fragged them over and over and gave them away to fellow refeers. Took them out only because the colonies got too big and have since redone the display without them.
Pics? :eek:

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Must be the "air" down there! nice work man and thanks for posting

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say I love spaths Adam. Tank is not in the right frame to take these off your hands unfortunately!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 77.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back