Australophyllia (Symphyllia) Wilsoni care?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Does yours get any direct light? Yours looks rich in color, many others including myself seem to have bleaching issues that cause a decline.
It does, on the sand bed. It’s done quite well, but like I said, I think it’s beginning to fail now, maybe from too much light, or flow, or a sting, or over or under feeding, or who knows... it’s a shame.

Look at the size it used to expand too at its peak. Makes me sad.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone have had any long term success with these beautiful corals? I've noticed they are more common at LFS (and in sponsor's threads) but when searching about them, it seems like no one has any success with them in the long term.
Ive had one green n dark colored for a couple years now and been very easy to keep for me. No special treatment. Didnt realize these r difficult till I read this!!!!! Now u got me worried. Bought another orange colored one a few months back but it seems to be doing well also. Im posting some terrible pics of them now from phone (zoomed in from full tank shots) but will take better ones of just them when home and have the time.
Screenshot_20190708-095010_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190708-095635_Gallery.jpg

luv2lopeqhs

View Badges
Reaction score
This is a picture of mine. It’s been in my system since the first of the year so about 7 months now...it’s maintained it’s color and stays very fluffy. I really think your bleaching issue may be related to your light spectrum.

8744B417-6CDB-4929-BAC6-AD7A122D46A4.jpeg 64E777B6-BCEC-4425-AC2A-4793FD08A15D.jpeg 9343F97F-340E-4E3D-BBB0-98BB9361323D.jpeg

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Mine has continued its very slow decline after one year or so.

luv2lopeqhs

View Badges
Reaction score
Mine has continued its very slow decline after one year or so.
Sorry to hear that....any idea as to what might have caused it’s decline? Was yours a frag or larger colony....mine was a very small frag that the vendor I got it from had since October of 2018....I got it early in 2019. He told me he originally had two and lost one but this one held on and was doing well and since I got it has seemed to continue to flourish, maintain its coloring, and grow....so far any way. Mine isn’t nearly as tight appearing as so many I have seen it’s more fleshy...wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It was a larger colony. It thrived for about 10 months, and has been slowly failing for about 5. No longer fully inflated. Skeleton exposed in areas. It’s been painful bc I feed it, keep the tank on the cooler side, have given it different amounts of flow, and so forth. Idk what it’s deal is, but I hear it’s a pretty common course with the wilsoni.

andrewkw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
IMG_9100.JPG

Update. The earlier pictures were taken just in sunlight but it is a little darker today. I have lost a couple of polyps off the top though I am unsure if that tissue recession is due to catching other corals or just it's slow decline. It's still eating well and I'm generally keeping my tank around 76 but on hot days I will still reach 77. Keeping the tank cooler has not had much effect these 2 months or so. Perhaps some growth rates have slowed a bit in other corals but nothing substantial.

I target feed the coral once a week with LRS, and various other foods, as well as try and get some tiny pellets to hit it a few times during the week. It still eats well and puffs up, but occasionally deflates like the picture I posted a few months ago when I thought it wasn't going to make it another day. If I had a little more resources I'd like to try these in different tanks to see what exactly can be done to keep them healthy but the reality is I just want this particular colony to colour up again and at this point it's either going to continue to slowly decline or maybe just maybe regain it's colour in the next year or so.

Do you use Instagram for reefing stuff? What’s your handle?

• Yes I follow people

Votes: 130 22.2%
  • Yes and I post reefing content

Votes: 125 21.3%
  • No IG isn’t for me

Votes: 294 50.2%
  • What is IG?

Votes: 37 6.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors