Auto Feeder for Dosing?

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I currently dose Red Sea skeletal elements (the powder) every day or two around 15grams at a time and it’s working well for me in my 80 gallon reef.

To try and automate this, I thought of using an Eheim auto feeder to dose it. I add it slowly and directly into the filter sock so maybe I could set up the auto feeder on the sump and work out the number of ‘feedings’ to dose the amount of powder I need? If it works I thought it would be quite a neat solution.

anyone tried this before?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry the powder might get damp and clump up. Maybe not

OP
OP
S

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt you will be able to get the precision you need from an autofeeder
Should be ok with powder. The Eheim slot size is adjustable and can be programmed for multiple feeds a day so just need it to measure out to dispense the 15-20grams a day and should be good. So long as it doesn’t clump. I’ll give it a whirl and report back.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of us old timers would tell you dumping powder of any kind is a hazardous shock to the water column.

A trainwreck waiting to happen.

You should always dilute any powder in rodi water .... THEN add to your water column.

But try it....what do you have to lose?
Answer: everything

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of us old timers would tell you dumping powder of any kind is a hazardous shock to the water column.

A trainwreck waiting to happen.

You should always dilute any powder in rodi water .... THEN add to your water column.

But try it....what do you have to lose?
Answer: everything

Skeletal elements is designed to be added dry. I add it into my 100micron sock so no powder is going directly into the display. I’ve been using it for 6months and it’s working great.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skeletal elements is designed to be added dry. I add it into my 100micron sock so no powder is going directly into the display. I’ve been using it for 6months and it’s working great.
Then why are you posting If you got it figured out? Go for it.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly…try the plank auto feeder by avast marine. It is actually pretty consistent once you get the timing down

OP
OP
S

SparklesMcgraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the feeder arrived and I got it set up. Dumps straight into the filter sock where I usually add the skeletal elements powder anyway. Let’s see if it will dispense a full load without clumping. Would be pretty handy if this works. At least could ride me over for a week or so when on vacation. Poor mans dosing rig I guess.

180EEB3B-F099-4185-BC2D-E36352170C37.jpeg

NEFFx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it go? Thinking of doing this with an Apex Feeder but for Reef Roids.

Also Seems strange with all the dosers out there that nobody has made on e for powder... Since its more concentrated and doesnt settle or need to be mixed in most cases.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it go? Thinking of doing this with an Apex Feeder but for Reef Roids.

Also Seems strange with all the dosers out there that nobody has made on e for powder... Since its more concentrated and doesnt settle or need to be mixed in most cases.
The Neptune AFS works fine for powders. I use the AFS on my tank with a feeder ring. I mix pellets and powders of various sizes and smashed up flakes. The neptune AFS seems to keep everything dry and free from clumping.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back