Auto Feeder... Yes or No?

Do/Would You Use an Auto Feeder? - Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 225 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 135 32.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 56 13.5%

• Total voters

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1886.JPG

Couldn’t be happier with this setup. PVC funnel feeding directly into return pump. The pvc tube has some holes drilled in the side right at the waterline with a powerhead pointed at it. This keeps some water flow inside the tube itself and makes sure the pellets don’t sit around floating in the tube. They are all in the display within 10 seconds of the feeder going off.

Vacations are my main reason for having it, however I leave it running all the time. I like to have my setup mostly vacation-ready at all times, in order to minimize changes made right before leaving.

Now that there is clever...good job

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Apex auto feeder loaded with a 50/50 mixture of Ocean Nutrition formulas 1 and 2 with the small pellet size so that all the fish get some food.

I feed different frozen cubes around 1pm and then at 6.3opm when I’m eating my evening meal the auto feeder goes off and the fish get fed while I watch and without interfering with my feast! And I can see they get their share as well.

I’ve found the ocean nutrition in small pellets best in Apex as they sink and get blown around by my return pumps.

It’s also great for holidays and is already in place with just a refill.

Infact the fish must be able to hear the load Apex cranking up as when it starts they all start going into a frenzy under we’re the food drops!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, but haven't set it up yet.

Do folks that use them have a setting on their water flow to coincide with the pellet drop? Worried about them blowing all around in the gyre.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont expect a set-it-forget-it experience with Apex feeder.

It does a nice job with flakes .....

But you still need human intervention once a week.

Good for 1-2 weeks of vacation but dont expect to load it and forget about it for a month

Totally disagree. I load mine up once a month with pellets and set it to feed 4 times a day. I have it set to feed very little but my anthias love numerous feedings. I supplement 1 feeding per day with frozen foods as well & flakes. I know it sounds heavy but I have 14 fish in my tank. Wouldn't be without my Apex AFS.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tabasco 1
I actually think people like that the food gets blown around with their pumps, it keeps it from going down the overflow. Fish will eat it as they get use to it

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I decided to try out and Eheim for when I’m out of town as a supplement to the tank sitter feeding so they only have to come every other day. I’ll let you know how it goes.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to try out and Eheim for when I’m out of town as a supplement to the tank sitter feeding so they only have to come every other day. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Are you using it with a feeding ring or Eheim's FeedingStation? Or just alone?

I do like the FeedingStation a lot, but presently I'm using mine without.

I'm also using it un-programmed. It only dispenses when I hit the EHEIM button. Easy way to add controlled amounts of flake....which is otherwise tricky. Pinch size varies a lot and mashes up the flakes in the process.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you using it with a feeding ring or Eheim's FeedingStation? Or just alone?

I do like the FeedingStation a lot, but presently I'm using mine without.

I'm also using it un-programmed. It only dispenses when I hit the EHEIM button. Easy way to add controlled amounts of flake....which is otherwise tricky. Pinch size varies a lot and mashes up the flakes in the process.

I did buy the feeding station as well.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone is gone until after 5p and I leave the house too early (5:20a) for a morning feed so I've been using the eheim for a 11a feeding with pellets and flakes. I then feed frozen in the evening.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I decided to get my tank back on a auto feeder to feed some pellets once a day. My biggest fear is overfeeding but it's been a few weeks and I think it's been a great addition. It has really helped for traveling as well to supplement feedings in between where the tank sitter feeds.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I decided to get my tank back on a auto feeder to feed some pellets once a day. My biggest fear is overfeeding but it's been a few weeks and I think it's been a great addition. It has really helped for traveling as well to supplement feedings in between where the tank sitter feeds.
I use an auto feeder on 3 tanks of mine and they all have a means of regulating how much food gets disbursed. Should be good to go

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the eheim in the past and it was a life saver. I have a apex now and I like it better. I had some problems with the apex in the beginning. Apex replaced the bad unit. Now I Can feed my fish from anywhere on this planet.
I have a bunch of food I feed the tank but NLS pellets is what I feed most.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have used the eheim in the past and it was a life saver. I have a apex now and I like it better. I had some problems with the apex in the beginning. Apex replaced the bad unit. Now I Can feed my fish from anywhere on this planet.
I have a bunch of food I feed the tank but NLS pellets is what I feed most.

All mine are AFS and I too began with the eheim which was Totally reliable. I even have an eheim in the box Unused which I should part with but keeping the other used one as a spare

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back