Auto Feeder... Yes or No?

Do/Would You Use an Auto Feeder? - Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 225 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 135 32.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 56 13.5%

• Total voters

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the apex feeder, I use it for vacations and for days that I may be getting home late. I feed the crossover pellets. I have never had issues with mine, 2+ years.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Eheim auto feeder to drop pellets 4x per day, as well as feeding frozen daily. lots of fish in my 300g tank.
This thing has been bullet proof for me, just refill every few weeks.
One thing some might consider is that you should be testing automation when you're around and can fix problems, rather than to put an auto feeder (or anything else) online as you leave for vacation. By using it daily you will have more confidence that it will work properly when you're away.

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1886.JPG

Couldn’t be happier with this setup. PVC funnel feeding directly into return pump. The pvc tube has some holes drilled in the side right at the waterline with a powerhead pointed at it. This keeps some water flow inside the tube itself and makes sure the pellets don’t sit around floating in the tube. They are all in the display within 10 seconds of the feeder going off.

Vacations are my main reason for having it, however I leave it running all the time. I like to have my setup mostly vacation-ready at all times, in order to minimize changes made right before leaving.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this contraption, my auto feeder is el cheepo but this works for me. Used an angle to raise my auto feeder and I cut off the bottom of a solo cup and placed it about half inch under the surface. This only allows them to escape when they sink. Can’t see it from viewing angles when the hood is all closed.
IMG_1448.JPG

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Eheim for supplemental feedings throughout the day when I'm gone. I feed the good stuff in the mornings and evenings. It sits on top of my light and drops the food through the screen right into a powerhead. The powerhead disperses it through the tank pretty well.
IMG_20180831_120441.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The title says it all. I was wondering if automatic feeders are the way to go? I already have an Apex so it would not be that difficult to do, but I have been wondering if the risk is worth the reward? If so, I was also wondering what everyone feeds from theirs?

I think one of the best times I can see/observe my fish is during feeding (i.e. for any problem). The only time I would use an automatic feeder is when I'm on vacation - and I haven't done the because I would be paranoid that something would happen. Instead I divide out daily doses of food for the person watching the tank. To me taking some food out of a bag a couple times a day isn't worth the problem. I know BRS uses them on their tanks with no problem.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most folks can't personally manage more than 1-2 feedings per day and they tend to be bulk quantities.

Most fish want to eat more or less continuously but in small quantities.

If used intelligently (lot of great examples!) an auto-feeder can bridge that gap in one small way.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the apex one and I do set it and forget it with pellets add and clean it about once a month nor for flakes it’s a bit harder have to clean it once a week so gave up only doing pellets when I’m not home 2 times a day easy to use and clean

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use one. I feed almost all frozen foods so not sure an auto feeder would work out......

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the fish during feeding is a GOOD Way/ time to check them for health issues.. If you Automate everything why not just watch a ocean video on your tv....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes !!1 I am gone during day. Doesn't give a reason for 23 fish to miss a meal. It allows a 9a and 12p feeding then I give them a mix at 3p and frozen dinner at 6:30-7p

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set one up when I go away for more than a day or two. When I’m home I like to feed the fish myself.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use apex feeder it feeds twice a day mixed pellets. I feed frozen when I get home at night.

Wonf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the eheim a couple months ago because I went on a 5 day trip... i've since left it running (2nd smallest setting [2 clicks/bumps]), 2 spins per feeding, twice a day. It's so convenient, gives my fish pellets and I feed nori and frozen when I need/want to.

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the Eheim one. Works great when I go on vacation with pellets and flakes crushed up. Full size flakes tend to get caught up

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets ( mix 50/50 Formula one and two mini pellets) twice a day with an Eheim and then I feed frozen and nori once a day and have a neighbor continue that when I'm out of town

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you plan on being away from your tank for LONG periods of time, no.. Even still though a healthy tank can probably go a week if not longer with no food at all. Sometimes the best part of my day is sitting in front of the tank and watching the fish flash trying to get some food. Why would I give that up? ;)
I agree! I recently acquired some of these egg cubes (my mom gave up on her tank) I LOVE throwing them in to watch it "snow" in my tank and the fish go crazy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back