Auto Feeder... Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by tr3, Aug 29, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

210 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. No

133 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. Undecided

48 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. tr3

tr3 Member

The title says it all. I was wondering if automatic feeders are the way to go? I already have an Apex so it would not be that difficult to do, but I have been wondering if the risk is worth the reward? If so, I was also wondering what everyone feeds from theirs?

Dsnakes likes this.
    Tags:

2. Dsnakes

Dsnakes Knight Reefer R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I think a lot of people set them up for vacations. I would keep minimal food in it if you are using for convenience. I have heard of them dumping it all before.

3. Pntbll687

Pntbll687 Well-Known Member

I use two feeders, one for each tank. I have the current usa aquachef, and have zero complaints. Feeds every time, was easy to set, and runs on batteries(which were included)

I feed a mix of hikari seaweed extreme and marine s for the large tank, and just marine s for the nano.
    The large tank get s fed 3 times a day, and the nano once.

Dsnakes likes this.
  4. Reefpuck

Reefpuck Active Member R2R Supporter

I personally don't run one. As mentioned by Dsnakes...I would probably use it lightly as supplement feeding unless you're going out of town. I'm sure there are way more success stories with auto feeders than not out there.

mike werner and Dsnakes like this.
  5. sawdonkey

sawdonkey Valuable Member

I use the cheap Eheim one. I have apex, but don’t have a need to automate something so simple.

I have it feed twice a day. I also feed frozen and nori most days. When I’m out of town town, usually no more than 3-4 days, they just don’t get the frozen or nori, same goes for days when I work late or just forget to feed.

6. skimjim

skimjim Valuable Member

Dont expect a set-it-forget-it experience with Apex feeder.

It does a nice job with flakes .....

But you still need human intervention once a week.

Good for 1-2 weeks of vacation but dont expect to load it and forget about it for a month

7. sawdonkey

sawdonkey Valuable Member

What about with pellets? My cheap eheim is good to go for months at a time.

8. braappn

braappn Member

X2 on the eheim with pellets.

Put some duct tape on the little door so there is no chance it can move. Set it and forget it.

dwest, Rcpilot and Jr'sReef like this.
  9. Pntbll687

Pntbll687 Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice that feeders feed a lot more than expected when not on the lowest setting??

10. Breadman03

Breadman03 Valuable Member Catskill Reef Member

Yes, I think they are worth it. I feed NLS pellets 7 times daily at the lowest setting, though I'd cut that down for a smaller tank. My goal is consistent feeding across the day.

Nope. Anything other than the lowest setting on the AFS is like 1/2 cup of food. lol I was shocked the first time I tested it out though. I even debated filing down the edge of the slider and leaving it "closed" to feed less. I suppose I might use something other than the lowest setting if I was feeding a large food.

11. doughboy

doughboy Active Member

I use aquachef feeder to feed ocean nutrition formula 1 small pellets twice daily. been doing this for (>5) years with no issue.
    I recently tried eheim because I keep reading good reviews about it, and went back to aquachef as it does not work well for dispensing small pellets. I think using feeder keeps feeding amount and time consistent. The fish all know to go near where the pellets drop every day right before feeding time.

12. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Great question! I took the liberty of adding a poll to the top. :)

Sannadex Sam and sfin52 like this.
  13. Geebs19

Geebs19 Give me all the Euphyllia R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I just went and grabbed the Ehiem and it was super easy to program. I am leaving for the weekend for 5 days and then in November will be gone for 2 weeks. I was worried it would drop too much food, but I was able to get it almost exactly where I want it.

Also I was a bit more worried about how much food it would drop as my fish are in a QT and dont want ammonia to spike.

dwest likes this.
  14. tr3

tr3 Member

Seeing as no one posted that they crashed their tank from using one, I am definitely going to try one. My main concern is when I feed pellets now I have to put them below the surface or half of them seem to float on top and go down the overflow. I guess I will just have to mess with it. I love hearing peoples personal experience. Its like gold in this hobby.

15. doughboy

doughboy Active Member

Get an Eheim feeding station.
    https://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Feeding_Station_Fish_Food_Clips_Feeding_Stations-Eheim-EH40203-FIFDFECF-vi.html

revhtree and saltyhog like this.
  16. Jr'sReef

Jr'sReef Active Member R2R Secret Santa

I use one and put duct tape on the opening to close it off even more on the lowest setting. Now it dumps a little bit of pellets twice each day. Literally lasts a month and I only fill it half way. I have it just as an extra way of getting food in the tank. I like it bc I normally only feed frozen and this in my mind balances it out.

Fish actually no already when it’s almost time for it to go off.

17. LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Love my Apex feeder. Set to go off once in the AM then I feed frozen at night. And if I forget to feed and I’m away from the house, I can always feed from my phone.

SPR1968 and Amado like this.
  18. cloak

cloak Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Unless you plan on being away from your tank for LONG periods of time, no.. Even still though a healthy tank can probably go a week if not longer with no food at all. Sometimes the best part of my day is sitting in front of the tank and watching the fish flash trying to get some food. Why would I give that up? ;)

Leslie Tabor, saltyhog and sfin52 like this.
  19. Rcpilot

Rcpilot Addicted to LPS R2R Supporter

Me too.

Do you turn off the pumps at feeding time?

Same here. Forums are great sources of information if you can stand to do the searches and filter through the fat.

20. Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer Been there done that.. R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I for one don’t trust them, if I’m going to be gone for more than a couple days I have a sitter feed my fish and top off my tanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted