Auto Feeder... Yes or No?

Do/Would You Use an Auto Feeder? - Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 225 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 135 32.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 56 13.5%

• Total voters

tr3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all. I was wondering if automatic feeders are the way to go? I already have an Apex so it would not be that difficult to do, but I have been wondering if the risk is worth the reward? If so, I was also wondering what everyone feeds from theirs?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two feeders, one for each tank. I have the current usa aquachef, and have zero complaints. Feeds every time, was easy to set, and runs on batteries(which were included)

I feed a mix of hikari seaweed extreme and marine s for the large tank, and just marine s for the nano.
The large tank get s fed 3 times a day, and the nano once.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the cheap Eheim one. I have apex, but don’t have a need to automate something so simple.

I have it feed twice a day. I also feed frozen and nori most days. When I’m out of town town, usually no more than 3-4 days, they just don’t get the frozen or nori, same goes for days when I work late or just forget to feed.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont expect a set-it-forget-it experience with Apex feeder.

It does a nice job with flakes .....

But you still need human intervention once a week.

Good for 1-2 weeks of vacation but dont expect to load it and forget about it for a month

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont expect a set-it-forget-it experience with Apex feeder.

It does a nice job with flakes .....

But you still need human intervention once a week.

Good for 1-2 weeks of vacation but dont expect to load it and forget about it for a month

What about with pellets? My cheap eheim is good to go for months at a time.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else notice that feeders feed a lot more than expected when not on the lowest setting??

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think they are worth it. I feed NLS pellets 7 times daily at the lowest setting, though I'd cut that down for a smaller tank. My goal is consistent feeding across the day.

Anyone else notice that feeders feed a lot more than expected when not on the lowest setting??

Nope. Anything other than the lowest setting on the AFS is like 1/2 cup of food. lol I was shocked the first time I tested it out though. I even debated filing down the edge of the slider and leaving it "closed" to feed less. I suppose I might use something other than the lowest setting if I was feeding a large food.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aquachef feeder to feed ocean nutrition formula 1 small pellets twice daily. been doing this for (>5) years with no issue.
I recently tried eheim because I keep reading good reviews about it, and went back to aquachef as it does not work well for dispensing small pellets. I think using feeder keeps feeding amount and time consistent. The fish all know to go near where the pellets drop every day right before feeding time.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went and grabbed the Ehiem and it was super easy to program. I am leaving for the weekend for 5 days and then in November will be gone for 2 weeks. I was worried it would drop too much food, but I was able to get it almost exactly where I want it.

Also I was a bit more worried about how much food it would drop as my fish are in a QT and dont want ammonia to spike.

OP
OP
tr3

tr3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as no one posted that they crashed their tank from using one, I am definitely going to try one. My main concern is when I feed pellets now I have to put them below the surface or half of them seem to float on top and go down the overflow. I guess I will just have to mess with it. I love hearing peoples personal experience. Its like gold in this hobby.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as no one posted that they crashed their tank from using one, I am definitely going to try one. My main concern is when I feed pellets now I have to put them below the surface or half of them seem to float on top and go down the overflow. I guess I will just have to mess with it. I love hearing peoples personal experience. Its like gold in this hobby.

Get an Eheim feeding station.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Feeding_Station_Fish_Food_Clips_Feeding_Stations-Eheim-EH40203-FIFDFECF-vi.html

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one and put duct tape on the opening to close it off even more on the lowest setting. Now it dumps a little bit of pellets twice each day. Literally lasts a month and I only fill it half way. I have it just as an extra way of getting food in the tank. I like it bc I normally only feed frozen and this in my mind balances it out.

Fish actually no already when it’s almost time for it to go off.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Apex feeder. Set to go off once in the AM then I feed frozen at night. And if I forget to feed and I’m away from the house, I can always feed from my phone.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you plan on being away from your tank for LONG periods of time, no.. Even still though a healthy tank can probably go a week if not longer with no food at all. Sometimes the best part of my day is sitting in front of the tank and watching the fish flash trying to get some food. Why would I give that up? ;)

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as no one posted that they crashed their tank from using one, I am definitely going to try one.
Me too.

My main concern is when I feed pellets now I have to put them below the surface or half of them seem to float on top and go down the overflow.
Do you turn off the pumps at feeding time?

I love hearing peoples personal experience. Its like gold in this hobby.
Same here. Forums are great sources of information if you can stand to do the searches and filter through the fat.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one don’t trust them, if I’m going to be gone for more than a couple days I have a sitter feed my fish and top off my tanks.

Back