Auto Feeder..

Topgun128p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m new to the whole forum scene.. I have a redsea 250, established for about 5 years.. it’s setup with an apex fusion/ doser / refugium. Tank is stable and almost completely self sustaining, I have the ATO off my RODI.. only thing I really do is feed the fish/ tank. Which works great for me because I work odd hours mostly midnights and my hours are constantly changing.. I wanted to add an automatic feeder in my sump and attempt to feed the pellets through my return pump, hopefully they can saturate and flow through the pump.. has anyone tried this, also thinking of a pvc pipe from the feeder to the pump intake to help direct it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Problem you may have at the sump is, if they do not reach the pump, youre going to have ammonia-nitrate-Phosphate issues and algae plus cyano and even Dino
I use auto feeders and feed from the top without issue

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't in my sump but I am experimenting with this now. I recently bought a Eheim feeder. I have an egg crate lid with a hinged door for manual feeding. I made a piece of egg crate with a clear plastic cup as a chute for holding floating food until it slowly sinks toward the power head. Not exactly what you are wanting but maybe gives you ideas. I would personally rather the food go into the display.

Attachments

• feeder1.jpg
    feeder1.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 35
  • feeder2.jpg
    feeder2.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 37
  • feeder3.jpg
    feeder3.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 35

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it, didn't work out to well. The pellets, even though I had a piece of PVC so the pellets would shoot directly into the return, seemed to just settle right next to the pump. Always had a huge pile of decomposing pellets.

I have since switched to feeding into the display with a feeder ring. Works great, and the pellets get a chance to hydrate, and sink before they just float across the surface and down the overflow.

OP
OP
T

Topgun128p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it, didn't work out to well. The pellets, even though I had a piece of PVC so the pellets would shoot directly into the return, seemed to just settle right next to the pump. Always had a huge pile of decomposing pellets.

I have since switched to feeding into the display with a feeder ring. Works great, and the pellets get a chance to hydrate, and sink before they just float across the surface and down the overflow.
That’s exactly what I wanted to know.. I’m going to skip the whole sump idea and just feed into the display tank, really wanted to have it as clean looking as possible. Thank you

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Topgun128p and @homer1475 I just saw your thread as I’m thinking about doing this. What if you used an auto feeder (Eheim, ATS, Avast, whatever) that dropped into a pvc tube that was on a T fitting to your return pump?

So basically, one end of the tee is connected to your pump, the opposite end is open and sucking in water from the sump. The third end is connected to a PVC tube that acts like a feed tube. It would let the food hydrate and it would have no choice but to get sucked into the pump and not scatter in the sump. You might need a small hole in the pvc tube to keep water flowing (no idea). Interested in your thoughts on this?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back