Auto-filling ATO tank suggestions?

Dustomatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 16 gallon glass aquarium that is serving as an ATO resevoir and it's the perfect size. What is the best way to connect my R/O line to it for Auto-fill? Is there a hang on style float valve that is reliable? Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way is to use two float switches, a high and a low connected to a relay or controller that powers a normally closed solenoid and then have the output terminate to a float valve as a failsafe.

If you have a controller you could add a secondary fail safe float switch and a leak detector. I do not have a second switch, but I do have a leak detecting wire hooked up to my Apex breakout box.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do this directly to your RO/DI for two reasons.

1. Blow through DI resin fast. Every time the unit turns on, breakthrough TDS shoots up relatively high. For me, it's about 50-60. This will chew up DI real fast.

2. Prepare for a flood. You're relying on float switches or float valves to shut off the water. Sooner or later, they will fail....for me, usually when I'm on vacation. RO/DI will continue to run until you discover the flood.

Alternate suggestion....make and store RO/DI in a large container and then pump to your ATO reservoir when needed.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the BRS DIY float kit with the aqua lift pump. The BRS has two float switches and I have them placed in the under the DT sump. I use a 5 gallon container for my 29 gal tank with a 5 gal HOB sump for macro algae and a 10 gal DIY under the tank sump.

I never had the pump fail/stick in the on mode, but I can see the virtue in storing RODI in a separate container and only filling the ATO to the point where it cannot overflow the tank.

I used Kalk which put more stress on my system. I had to replace a float switch (the main failed in the off). Replacing the switches was so easy and inexpensive I did both even though the back up switch was just fine. I do check them every once in a while and since I use kalk in my ATO I clean my aqualift by running a vinegar solution though it.

I do have an Apex classic, but the BRS set up works just fine and was inexpensive and I am not a fan of running everything through a single controller. (My CoronaLED lights use their own wifi app).

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, with proper failsafes, the risk is minimal. The risk of a dry float valve failing and a float switch failing at the same time in a non organic environment is way down on the list of my concerns.

As for flushing the membrane. You can add an Aquatec auto flush kit. That is what I did.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.5%
Back