Auto top off safety

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I use is a float valve in my sump connected to RO/DI system with a high water level sensor used to close a solenoid valve for the RO/DI supply line in case the float valve malfunctions. I never have to fill a reservoir. Never any problems in 5 years with this setup.

OP
OP
C

CB06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not sure about one that could control to the second. The pump may be 280l/hour, but there will be head loss since I assume you're pumping it up from inside or next to the stand. It would be best to get a gallon jug and see how long it takes to fill it up at the same level as the top of your aquarium.

Maybe you could use a ball valve to slow down the flow? This should allow you to set a timer to minutes and not seconds.

13780.jpg
Is it safe to use a ball valve to reduce the water flow that much it still is coming out quite fast even tho it’s pumping a meter up into the tank

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to use a ball valve to reduce the water flow that much it still is coming out quite fast even tho it’s pumping a meter up into the tank
The only issue I can foresee is some ATOs have a built in redundancy that won't let the pump run longer than X amount of time. If you slow the flow down, it's possible you could trigger that fail safe. That is assuming your ATO even has that feature. Also I would put the valve inside your reservoir, just in case it ever leaked.

OP
OP
C

CB06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I can foresee is some ATOs have a built in redundancy that won't let the pump run longer than X amount of time. If you slow the flow down, it's possible you could trigger that fail safe. That is assuming your ATO even has that feature. Also I would put the valve inside your reservoir, just in case it ever leaked.
My pump will only do that after the first fill so won’t be an issue when on a timer. I was jsut making sure it so wasnt gonna ruin the pump by restricting flow

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump will only do that after the first fill so won’t be an issue when on a timer. I was jsut making sure it so wasnt gonna ruin the pump by restricting flow
Generally not an issue to restrict an AC pump on the output, as long as it's not excessive. You can always use a T fitting to circulate the water back into the reservoir. That would relieve any back pressure and slow down the flow.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back