Auto top off trigger volume

Taylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diy 40g breeder sump. I just built a diy waterfall algea scrubber box, I want to remove by refugium wall. What this will do is essentially make my return pump compartment which contains auto top off float 19.25"x17.125". So the volume of water change to trigger top off is obviously larger.

If my math stands, if my float triggers at 1/2" (I think it's better than that), that is .73 of a gallon of water to trigger. Is this to significant on salinity long term for my sps? A 90 gallon which with remaining sump is probably 90 actual gallons. Thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a larger change than I would care for in my system, but that doesn't mean it can't work for SPS. My personal opinion with SPS is that it is a balancing act. The better you are in some areas of keeping them the more room you have for error in others. So just because this swing is larger than I would want, it may not cause any problems if you are on your game with chemistry, lighting, and flow.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back