Need lighting recommendations

Jackd1023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I previously posted that we purchased a 65 gallon water box with a sump. After doing shopping today it has been decided for me that we are now getting the 90 gallon water box. Previously I had ordered which everything is back ordered at the moment, one raidion 30 blue.
so seeing as my options are now open again with the 2 Radion 15 blues? Or is another lighting that I should be considering.
We now have an Apex controller, 2MP, tens, reef octopus, skimmer, I do have a dosing pump, auto top off, Ecotek return pump, filter roller.
It really feels like I am about ready for this thing to show up now the curveball of the larger tank again. Any recommendations from professionals out there?

OP
OP
J

Jackd1023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People’s with radions love them. I like hydra’s personality
Yeah, I had a Hydro 52 on my old cube tank years ago, the boss really likes the radian blue because of the blue attendance seems to be more than the hydros but that’s her opinion. Before I drop $1100 I was just asking if there was something better or if they are a good product.

dank.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not a proffesional but the actual foot printbof the tank would be helpful in advising you on your lighting needs. If you have a 90 cube you could get away with a single high par/watt fixture(Radion 30) were as a 90 shallow you may 3-4(Radion 15)lower watt/par LEDs or possibly a hybrid fixture. Seeing as you are running all Apex/Ecotech equipment you may want to use either a Radion or an AI type of setup just to keep all things under the same product/manufacture line.

I personally run an AP9X and 2 A360x's on my 36" long 50g but it really comes down to personal preference. I feel that the Radion blues are too blue for me and prefer the look of the pros but again that's just me. I don't feel that the high price tag is justified in the Radions, though if I could find a used set for a fair price I woud consider them

There are also several less mainstream lights out there that still perform well. I was actually looking into the Dalua lights that WWC has installed in some of their tanks. They give a lot of bang for the buck. Or if you are dead set on something thats backordered then maybe just pick up a set of black boxes to hold you over while you wait.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a kessil fanboy. Initially I just liked the sleekness of the fixture (I use the AP9x on both my display and frag system), and the gorgeous shimmer they produce, however I have seen secondhand evidence that Kessil lights produce superior coloration in corals, and I don't just mean visually because of the light, I mean the colors actually develop more vividly. Check out the below vid to see what I mean. Aside from the above mentioned reasons, Kessil is also a dedicated lighting company, whereas a lot of the other popular fixtures are made by "jack of all trade" companies where lighting is just one of their many product offerings. "You can't be the best at everything".

Kessil AP9x with mounting arm: https://amzn.to/3Uv3m0N

OP
OP
J

Jackd1023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a proffesional but the actual foot printbof the tank would be helpful in advising you on your lighting needs. If you have a 90 cube you could get away with a single high par/watt fixture(Radion 30) were as a 90 shallow you may 3-4(Radion 15)lower watt/par LEDs or possibly a hybrid fixture. Seeing as you are running all Apex/Ecotech equipment you may want to use either a Radion or an AI type of setup just to keep all things under the same product/manufacture line.

I personally run an AP9X and 2 A360x's on my 36" long 50g but it really comes down to personal preference. I feel that the Radion blues are too blue for me and prefer the look of the pros but again that's just me. I don't feel that the high price tag is justified in the Radions, though if I could find a used set for a fair price I woud consider them

There are also several less mainstream lights out there that still perform well. I was actually looking into the Dalua lights that WWC has installed in some of their tanks. They give a lot of bang for the buck. Or if you are dead set on something thats backordered then maybe just pick up a set of black boxes to hold you over while you wait.
Footprint is 48”x19x20, thank you for the thoughtful response! I will certainly look into the dulas, this is going to be the centerpiece of the front room, so unfortunately for me to “look” is important to her and the performance is important to me.

dank.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Footprint is 48”x19x20, thank you for the thoughtful response! I will certainly look into the dulas, this is going to be the centerpiece of the front room, so unfortunately for me to “look” is important to her and the performance is important to me.
Hey at least she is willing to participate. I couldn't even get mine to look when I found volunteer green Yumas. It took her 3 weeks before she said hey when did you get those.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it wouldn’t be under the same ecosystem as all you other equipment is (Neptune/Ecotech) - I highly recommend you to take a look at the reeFi Uno 2.0 Pro.

It has a wider spectrum than the XR30, so it covers the spectrum of both the Blue and the Pro, while also giving you some more to play with - so wether you like it more blue or more white isn’t a thing you choose while purchasing it, but rather when it’s already setup above your tank and you can visually decide what works best for you.

It has far more power than the Radion XR30 (215W vs 266W) - this allows you to actually choose the spectrum you like without compromising on PAR.

You have the ability to change the spreading angle - both 90 and 120 degree reeflectors are included, and you can also remove the reeflector to get 160 degrees or purchase the 60 deg separately (though, you only need either the 90 or the 120 in most scenarios).

Oh.. and it costs half as much as the Radion XR30. So you wouldn’t have to compromise on the weaker XR15s.

Here’s a side shot of my frag tank which is roughly the same size as yours (I do personally prefer a full spectrum and run the blue one at early morning and night time):
1707174951031.jpeg

1707174972071.jpeg

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I use Hydras on all my display tanks as that was recommended to me by my LFS when I re-entered the hobby a couple years ago. Then I found Noo-Psyche lights. I believe they are R2R members. @noopsyche lights are way more affordable. I bought 8 to go on my Frag system which is 4 50 gallon low boys. The price was much more agreeable than 8 hydra’s. I will say that the control ability in their app isn’t as easy as AI, but I think they may have upgraded them as well which would make a difference.

OP
OP
J

Jackd1023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a kessil fanboy. Initially I just liked the sleekness of the fixture (I use the AP9x on both my display and frag system), and the gorgeous shimmer they produce, however I have seen secondhand evidence that Kessil lights produce superior coloration in corals, and I don't just mean visually because of the light, I mean the colors actually develop more vividly. Check out the below vid to see what I mean. Aside from the above mentioned reasons, Kessil is also a dedicated lighting company, whereas a lot of the other popular fixtures are made by "jack of all trade" companies where lighting is just one of their many product offerings. "You can't be the best at everything".

Kessil AP9x with mounting arm: https://amzn.to/3Uv3m0N

Awesome I will check it out! Thank you!
Hey at least she is willing to participate. I couldn't even get mine to look when I found volunteer green Yumas. It took her 3 weeks before she said hey when did you get those.
willing to participate, yes, over willing this was all her idea lol, she has literally been on coral auction sites, she actually is the one who today picked the larger tank lol

OP
OP
J

Jackd1023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it wouldn’t be under the same ecosystem as all you other equipment is (Neptune/Ecotech) - I highly recommend you to take a look at the reeFi Uno 2.0 Pro.

It has a wider spectrum than the XR30, so it covers the spectrum of both the Blue and the Pro, while also giving you some more to play with - so wether you like it more blue or more white isn’t a thing you choose while purchasing it, but rather when it’s already setup above your tank and you can visually decide what works best for you.

It has far more power than the Radion XR30 (215W vs 266W) - this allows you to actually choose the spectrum you like without compromising on PAR.

You have the ability to change the spreading angle - both 90 and 120 degree reeflectors are included, and you can also remove the reeflector to get 160 degrees or purchase the 60 deg separately (though, you only need either the 90 or the 120 in most scenarios).

Oh.. and it costs half as much as the Radion XR30. So you wouldn’t have to compromise on the weaker XR15s.

Here’s a side shot of my frag tank which is roughly the same size as yours (I do personally prefer a full spectrum and run the blue one at early morning and night time):
1707174951031.jpeg

1707174972071.jpeg
That looks amazing! Thank you for the response! I will be checking those out for sure

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
willing to participate, yes, over willing this was all her idea lol, she has literally been on coral auction sites, she actually is the one who today picked the larger tank lol
She’s a keeper! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

That looks amazing! Thank you for the response! I will be checking those out for sure
Sure thing!

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Awesome I will check it out! Thank you!

Gotta love a wife who is both supportive and excited about the hobby. My wife @Ocean_Queenie really loves our fish and tanks. She has always been in charge of running the glass, but has now stepped in even more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back