Automated phosphate testing and control.

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Currently using GFO hipster remover and someone mentioned in my local fish shop that it strips trace elements.

This got me thinking, can you fully control PO4 in a well stocked reef tank (120G or 600L) dosing Carbon like vinegar or vodka etc?

Anyone had luck with one of the automated colourmetric PO4 testers?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Currently using GFO hipster remover and someone mentioned in my local fish shop that it strips trace elements.

This got me thinking, can you fully control PO4 in a well stocked reef tank (120G or 600L) dosing Carbon like vinegar or vodka etc?

Anyone had luck with one of the automated colourmetric PO4 testers?

They mentioned a fact that, while it may be true in whole or part, has little supporting evidence.

I think automated phosphate lowering by organic carbon dosing will fail. The effect of organics on phosphate is small and very slow.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mentioned a fact that, while it may be true in whole or part, has little supporting evidence.

I think automated phosphate lowering by organic carbon dosing will fail. The effect of organics on phosphate is small and very slow.
You’d stick to GFO?

Bioloco (EasyReefs)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us controle fosfates with organics method. The thruoble is that nitrates down faster than phosphate so you need a fine nitrate dosification to avoid an absence of nitrates in the water. Depends of the nitrate font and the treatment duration could be necesary test the ionic balance because acumulaction of some cation like sodium or potassium however usually that isn't a problem.

In other hand, I never used automated colourmetric PO4 testers. I can't say you any thing good or bad.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d stick to GFO?

If the goal is phosphate lowering when nitrate is ok then I’d use GFO.

Organic carbon dosing is poorly effective at phosphate lowering.

It’s fine to use both. I used GFO and vinegar.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen people using a mastertronic and dosetronic setup to test phosphate and dose lanthanum based on the results.

I wouldnt do it, but it is doable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen people using a mastertronic and dosetronic setup to test phosphate and dose lanthanum based on the results.

I wouldnt do it, but it is doable.

I agree that if I had to pick a way to automate phosphate removal, it would be by lanthanum since I don't see anything else working well.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biological lowering of po4 is really hard. At best, I have only been able to maintain with a very large fuge and 3-4x protein skimmers - very heavy bio export. Media and chemicals are what works.

I have yet to see an effective method for automatic po4 control. LC would probably be the easiest to dose, but some very experienced hobbyists have had issues with fish death with LC that is overdosed or not dosed correctly. The appropriate sized socks fill up super fast and need changed. GFO needs changed by hand.

I have only heard stories about automated po4 reduction. Theory. I have never seen one that worked for a long period of time. Some of the problem is that Mastertronic is not a super accurate or reliable tool for most - most love them at first and then fall out of love.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO though is so flipping messy. And depending on how high the phosphate is it can be exhausted rather quickly. If it is bound in the aquarium be it rocks or substrate then you are dealing with the rebound and we are back to GFO being exhausted in a couple of days. Knock it back with LC be it phosphate rx, add GFO and it will last a bit longer but then that bound up stuff shows its ugly head.

LC sure is the cleanest solution as it relates to the hobbyist. GFO, at least in my use of it, has always been one of frustration due to rinsing, and cleanup once it is depleted. Too messy.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used LC I noticed some fish struggling to breathe and my clam died.

Maybe a triple combination could work, without overdoing any one risk.

Have an automatic tester, run GFO all the time then dose carbon and LC and increase it as PO4 increases.

That being said, for the investment the solution wouldn’t be perfect so I will probably go back to using my ULR Hanna checker and GFO regular.

Annoying. I have a hunch that consistency with low PO4 would lead to the best SPS colouration.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back