automatic light controller

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for an automatic light controller to just control lights. I don't have to automate ato, ph, temp, dosing, or any kind of wireless connections for that matter. Just looking for a simple durable light controller that can do a little more than a timer.
I'm putting together a diy LED build and looking for a controller for that.
any suggestions?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may seem like overkill now, but I would look into a RKL or AC Jr. It will be able to control your lights and much more, but you can pick them up used for $100 or less. What are you looking for beyond a regular light timer? I'm not sure if either of those timers have the ability to ramp a dimmer control for led drivers, but the Apex light that's coming out probably will. The expected price is set at $150

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do agree, if a simple timer isn't enough, then the RKL can be bought well under 100dollars, the apex jr is going to be sweet, only problems is, is that it doesn't have a display for 150 dollars but it does way more than the RKL. if you have a smart phone then the apex jr would be the way to go. the cool thing about these controllers is that not only do you get the timers, but other great things that in the long run you will end of using anyways.best of luck to you
greg

OP
OP
GR808

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rkl and alc is digital aquatics? My understanding is the rkl is the controller and the alc is where the outlets are plugged into such as the drivers? Would the apex jr require the same equipment?

OP
OP
GR808

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take caution with that.

since it requires the use of the PWM drivers that I do not recommend due to the spectrum shift that occurs with their use. We will be releasing an article later this month to alert people to this issue.

How many drivers need to be controlled? the ALC unit from Digital aquatics can only support up to 3 or 4 dimmable drivers whereas Apex can go up to 8.

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many drivers need to be controlled? the ALC unit from Digital aquatics can only support up to 3 or 4 dimmable drivers whereas Apex can go up to 8.

I'm interested to know how you know how many drivers a ALC can support, I've tried lookin for a specific number but no one seems to know...

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked digital aquatics and it can only handle 4 drivers one driver per port which there are 4 ports. A apex can handle up to 6 drivers per port that's 24 drivers. Its why I went with a apex. Also easier to use I think so atleast. Go to led section I have my led build there.

Sent from my EVO.

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked digital aquatics and it can only handle 4 drivers one driver per port which there are 4 ports. A apex can handle up to 6 drivers per port that's 24 drivers. Its why I went with a apex. Also easier to use I think so atleast. Go to led section I have my led build there.

Sent from my EVO.

You mean 2 ports?

OP
OP
GR808

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take caution with that.

since it requires the use of the PWM drivers that I do not recommend due to the spectrum shift that occurs with their use. We will be releasing an article later this month to alert people to this issue.

does apex have an alc as well like digital aquatics? if so, what is it called or does the controller and alc from apex come together as 1 unit?

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does apex have an alc as well like digital aquatics? if so, what is it called or does the controller and alc from apex come together as 1 unit?

The Apex uses the VDM. It's the variable speed and dimming module. It can also be used to ramp Tunze pumps

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry yes ALC has two ports Apex has 4. V1,2,3,4. The elite version of the APEX comes with it built in. The regular Apex version you would have to buy the VDM. Neptune Systems Apex Variable Speed/Dimming Module (VDM). Reefkeeper no matter what unit you buy elite or none elite you have to buy the ALC.
With my Apex I have connected up to 4 drivers on one port just V1 all on one side to test and it worked great. According to Neptune you can hook up 6 per port.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current apex is pricey (around $450), but they have a new verios coming out with similar capabilities for $150. The VDM runs $100 on MD

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Apex wont come with the VDM it will have ti be bought separate just like the cheaper version of the apex out now.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original Apex (full version) comes with everything you need (controller, 4 variable outputs and an EB8). The new one does not have the variable output, so you would have to get the VDM, and it comes with the EB4 (4 outlets instead of 8).

CJ

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 143 40.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 178 50.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 9.1%
Back