automatic water change units sold out??

petroreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm a reefing newbie and I've heard from numerous people that automatic water changes are by far the best thing you can do to increase your chances of success in this hobby. Based on that, I started looking for automatic water change units (liter meter 3 and auto aqua AWC) and have found that they are sold out and have been sold out for months. I'm assuming COVID plays a major role in this... Are there other units that perform AWCs that are in stock? I just don't know all the brands yet and I'm not really interested in dropping $800 on an apex unit. (not even sure if it comes with the functionality to perform an AWC out of the box)

Thanks in advance,

Mason!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there Mason,

First of all, welcome to Reef 2 Reef!!!

Any doser can perform the same actions. I use my GHL 2.1 Stand Alone doser for AWC's. They also make a MAXI doser which is specifically designed for things like this. Not cheap but there are cheaper dosers out there :)

The Liter meter is usually low in stock but if you keep an eye out you will get one. The AutoAqua AWC is unfortunately discontinued so you will not be finding one of those any time soon unfortunately.

OP
OP
P

petroreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Josh. I'm definitely looking at that Maxi doser!

What do you use to store your saltwater? I've been using a homer bucket from home depot (no lid) as a makeshift ATO reservoir. I have a feeling that's not going to work for saltwater since I will lose elements to precipitation. Also, how much water do you store for your AWC reservoir? I have a 25 gallon tank so I was thinking to keep about 5 gallons of saltwater ready to go and change 2.5 gallons per week.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back