Automatically shut down for RODI

Bartol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, guys!
I am looking for a system that would automatically shut down my RODI unit when RODI water reaches the desired level in the tank.
My RODI has a built in booster pump and the entire unit shuts down if power is disconnected.
Should I watch systems that just turn off the power to the unit or systems that shut off the water supply?

Thanks!!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI has a switch valve that is supposed to shut off the flow when the water is not being pushed through the RODI unit but the waste flow continues to flow anyway? Makes an annoying water hammering noise when this is happening in stead of shutting off!

I have a gravity fed topoff for evaporation replacement that is 99.8% reliable over many years.
I would suggest you have an electric water supply shut off that stops water flow when the power fails or when the storage tank is full for most reliable control.
GL

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use float switches connected to a break out box on my Apex. This controls a neptune solenoid to open or close. As a backup, in case the solenoid sticks open, I have a float valve that shuts off a little higher than the switch and sends me a message as well. I have a separate 20 gallon rodi tank. From that the tunze ato fills my sump as needed. I also have more switches in the sump connected to a break out box to kill power to the tunze if it over fills. I also have an anti siphon valve above the rodi tank to prevent rodi from siphoning back into the sump. I would not recommend having your rodi plumbed directly to the sump/tank. You will get tds creep from short on/off cycles, and if something goes wrong you can have a flood situation and salinity issue.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use float switches connected to a break out box on my Apex. This controls a neptune solenoid to open or close. As a backup, in case the solenoid sticks open, I have a float valve that shuts off a little higher than the switch and sends me a message as well. I have a separate 20 gallon rodi tank. From that the tunze ato fills my sump as needed. I also have more switches in the sump connected to a break out box to kill power to the tunze if it over fills. I also have an anti siphon valve above the rodi tank to prevent rodi from siphoning back into the sump. I would not recommend having your rodi plumbed directly to the sump/tank. You will get tds creep from short on/off cycles, and if something goes wrong you can have a flood situation and salinity issue.

I'd be paranoid about this failing. Imo the convenience is not worth the risk for the OP's idea.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back