Autotopoff Ato questions.....

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My xpaqua ato broke. So after allot of reading I decided to get a ato from autotopoff, mostly because if it brakes I can fix it and it would have a fail safe
1. I ordered the 30$ prebuilt diy controller. I thought it was wired for two floats. It's only wired for one. Does anyone have a idea on how to wire in the fail safe float on the 12v dc relay?
2. If I want to wire in a toggle switch to turn the power off, do I wire it to the plug for the relay or the plug for the pump?

OP
OP
Nickcdll

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The assembled DIY controller. I switched out the box it came in for a waterproof electrical one. Looks much better.

Screenshot_20200223-003843.png

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a set of barrel connector screw terminals like this and then wire a normally closed float switch and toggle switch in series into the relay power. Leave the 120v wire alone.

OP
OP
Nickcdll

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wire in series using the negative wire? I'm assuming one of the two wires on a float is a negative. I think the toggle switch I got was rated for a 120v. I haven't hooked it up yet. I still have to order the floats. I was looking at these.....

Screenshot_20200223-024439.png

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no negative or positive on a basic switch (level or toggle). It just breaks or completes the connection of one of the two wires powering the load.

Leave your ground unbroken. The most basic representation of two switches in series is this, except your load is a relay instead of a bulb. If either switch is open, there is no power to the relay. You need to make sure your high level float switch is normally CLOSED so when it's not floating, the switch is closed.

logic gates.jpg

OP
OP
Nickcdll

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your still following this i have one more question. Do i hook the toggle on and off switch to the red on the wire for what i think is the relay or the wire for the pump?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back