Avast ATO / Neptune I/O Setup Help

Neptune

zatch

View Badges
Reaction score
I picked up an Avast ATO system with the digital output for an Apex. Using the Avast diaphragm pump which plugs into one of the Neptune EB8 24DVC outlets. Cant figure out how to program it in Apex Fusion, not understanding how the switch functions work :confused:

Anybody have any experience with this setup on how to program? The pdf instructions from Avast aren't very helpful, I'm guessing they haven't been updated for the current Apex/Fusion

BRS

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't have the Avast ATO, but I do have the Avast Skimmate Locker which has a similar pressure switch. I looked at their ATO documentation and agree it's pretty vague.

If you can describe to me the following, I can probably help you get it set up. If you're not aware, I'm the guy who posted many Apex programming tutorials here on R2R: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/authors/suncrestreef.93940/

1. Is the ATO switch connected directly to the Apex I/O port using the DIN-6 connector, or is it a 2-wire connection to the Apex Breakout Box? If it's connected to a Breakout Box, which of the 6 inputs is it connected to?

2. What kind of pump are you using? You mentioned it's connected to the 24v port, but you said "EB8" which does not have any 24v port. Perhaps you meant to say "EB832" which does have two 24v ports?

OP
zatch

zatch

View Badges
Reaction score
I don't have the Avast ATO, but I do have the Avast Skimmate Locker which has a similar pressure switch. I looked at their ATO documentation and agree it's pretty vague.

If you can describe to me the following, I can probably help you get it set up. If you're not aware, I'm the guy who posted many Apex programming tutorials here on R2R: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/authors/suncrestreef.93940/

1. Is the ATO switch connected directly to the Apex I/O port using the DIN-6 connector, or is it a 2-wire connection to the Apex Breakout Box? If it's connected to a Breakout Box, which of the 6 inputs is it connected to?

2. What kind of pump are you using? You mentioned it's connected to the 24v port, but you said "EB8" which does not have any 24v port. Perhaps you meant to say "EB832" which does have two 24v ports?
Thanks for the assistance!

1) its the direct i/o version that plugs directly into the connector
2) its the Avast diaphragm pump designed for the ATO. Yeah I mean EB832

Im not experienced in Neptune programming, have found the 'switch' section but cant make any sense of what do to there.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the assistance!

1) its the direct i/o version that plugs directly into the connector
2) its the Avast diaphragm pump designed for the ATO. Yeah I mean EB832

Im not experienced in Neptune programming, have found the 'switch' section but cant make any sense of what do to there.
OK. The first step is to determine which 24v port your pump is connected to. The EB832 has two 24v ports. If you look at the System View in Fusion, it will show all your attached modules. Click your EB832 module to expand it, which will then display each of the eight 120v outputs, and the two 24v DC outputs. The two 24v ports will be the first two white nodes at the bottom below the red ones (those are the 120v AC outputs). These can each be renamed, and you should rename the one where you plugged in the pump so you can easily identify it as the ATO pump. The way to tell which one is which is to manually turn them ON and OFF from your dashboard sliders to see which one turns on the pump.

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 11.22.40 PM.png

Next, you need to figure out which of the 6 switch inputs on the Apex is used by the Avast connector. I would assume it's switch 1, but this needs to be confirmed. The best way to do this is to configure the programming on the 24v pump output to turn on if a switch is closed:

Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON

If the pressure switch is under water, then it will report OPEN. If the water is low, it will report CLOSED. Enter this programming on the 24v output, and remove the pressure switch from the water, forcing it to report CLOSED. if the pump turns on, you know you have the correct switch. If it doesn't, then change the programming to:

Set OFF
If Sw2 CLOSED Then ON

Repeat this process with Sw3, Sw4, Sw5, Sw6 until you find the one that turns the pump on.

Last edited:
OP
zatch

zatch

View Badges
Reaction score
OK. The first step is to determine which 24v port your pump is connected to. The EB832 has two 24v ports. If you look at the System View in Fusion, it will show all your attached modules. Click your EB832 module to expand it, which will then display each of the eight 120v outputs, and the two 24v DC outputs. The two 24v ports will be the first two white nodes at the bottom below the red ones (those are the 120v AT outputs). These can each be renamed, and you should rename the one where you plugged in the pump so you can easily identify it as the ATO pump. The way to tell which one is which is to manually turn them ON and OFF from your dashboard sliders to see which one turns on the pump.

Next, you need to figure out which of the 6 switch inputs on the Apex is used by the Avast connector. I would assume it's switch 1, but this needs to be confirmed. The best way to do this is to configure the programming on the 24v pump output to turn on if a switch is closed:

Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON

If the pressure switch is under water, then it will report OPEN. If the water is low, it will report CLOSED. Enter this programming on the 24v output, and remove the pressure switch from the water, forcing it to report CLOSED. if the pump turns on, you know you have the correct switch. If it doesn't, then change the programming to:

Set OFF
If Sw2 CLOSED Then ON

Repeat this process with Sw3, Sw4, Sw5, Sw6 until you find the one that turns the pump on.
Thanks! I am going to give it some attention in the next few days, this is immensely helpful!

Maxout
OP
zatch

zatch

View Badges
Reaction score
OK. The first step is to determine which 24v port your pump is connected to. The EB832 has two 24v ports. If you look at the System View in Fusion, it will show all your attached modules. Click your EB832 module to expand it, which will then display each of the eight 120v outputs, and the two 24v DC outputs. The two 24v ports will be the first two white nodes at the bottom below the red ones (those are the 120v AC outputs). These can each be renamed, and you should rename the one where you plugged in the pump so you can easily identify it as the ATO pump. The way to tell which one is which is to manually turn them ON and OFF from your dashboard sliders to see which one turns on the pump.

Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON

Set OFF
If Sw2 CLOSED Then ON

-Edited- Nevermind, got it figured out and working. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Neptune

What are you most excited to read about in our REEF OF THE MONTH articles?

• I love reading about reef equipment!

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • For me, it's all about the CORALS!!

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Seeing and reading about cool fish that I wish I could keep!

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Looking for neat innovations and creative solutions they're using!

Votes: 48 19.9%
  • Looking mostly for stuff I can try on my tank!

Votes: 21 8.7%
  • Are you kidding?? I'm excited about ALL OF IT!!

Votes: 128 53.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Reef Nutrition