avast diy cone skimmer kit.........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay here we go..... i hate to be rushed but i will do the best i can do with the little time i have right now..."only work good under pressure" lol....anywho.....
okay so i got a kit just like a bunch of others....;)
first off i would like to say "great idea" i love the way avast pushes diy in the hobby and you all know by now im all about it!!!!!:tongue:
so the kit came very well packaged and the parts were machined to perfection i must say which is a big plus....
for me i just opened opened the box and stuck it together without directions or pics lol...."built a few skimmers in my days"...
i must say thou even with no knolodge on the subject it wouldn't be to tough since the parts are pretty much machined where you can only do it one way......
so i had intentions of taking a million pics and making this a thread where you could see step by step instructions but avast topped me by a long shot with the diy video.......so i really didn't feel the need to do so.....if you guys need them or want to see some more just lmk....
this was the dry fit rite out of the box....
08dab5e2.jpg

i must say this is very user friendly.... i was gonna use solvent's like weldon #4 but i wanted to go into this build just like you or the next guy would.... so i used everything that came with the kit and didnt cheat on anything just to see the difficulty which i would say is about 4 on a scale to 10.......

i started by assembling the cup and neck flange just as they show in the video then came the cone body and base... i must say this to you guys "LESS IS MORE WHEN IT COMES TO GLUING THIS UP" you dont need to fill the grooves with the glue that was supplied to get a good strong bond so save your self the head ache and mess by using a very little bead in the grooves..."use supplied tip"

i built the whole thing in about a hour but it shouldn't take the average joe more than 2 like avast mentions....
my first intial thoughts where, this is a great kit and very cost effective... a big plus for you and me.... i did find that the bottom of the cup is a very tight fit like shown in the video it's kind of a pain to push down "for the kits out there already i would recommend sanding the inside of it a little bit where it's a snug fit and not so tight because the joint is so tight it will cause crazing "fine hairline cracks" it's not gonna break or anything it's just a eye soar....for future kits maybe open the diameter up a couple thousandth's... the other pieces fit like a glove no problems with them at all......
another thing to maybe think about would be just tapping the center hole on the base plate to thread the rod into for the bubble plate, so it don't stick out the bottom of the skimmer with a nut on it.... not a big deal...."just looking for ways to simplify it" a thought anyways....one less thing to get lost when cleaning it.....

then came attaching the pump with the supplied uniseals.... i have used them in the past and will in the future... i would have liked to see unions to make connections but i know why avast picked uniseals over them..."don't blame them at all"
reasons
#1 more machining....
#2 the builder is gonna need some tools and a little skill to make it work properly...
#3 is.....if your clutz like myself sometimes and bang the pump there is a good chance that the cone body will crack......
so uniseals were definatly the way to go here..... i personally have never seen or used the kind supplied with the kit i normally use uniseals they have a logo on them that says uniseal there alot more stout and would allow you to use one hand for adjusting the flow vs. 2 because the uniseals supplied are made to flex..... "something to think about anyway" some might like the supplied one for the reason above....

so running the skimmer.......
i have been running it for about a week now.... all i can say is wow!!!!! it performs alot better than i had expected since the sicce pump wasn't really pushed no where near it's limit..."pretty much bone stock" but i would have to say a perfect match for the body..."PERFORMS VERY WELL".....no start up issues and very quiet amazingly.....lol

so here is where i ran into the next problem.....
the lid won't stay on the cup, the foam blasts it's off lol..."not like that's a bad thing":wink:
fix would be maybe a 3/8" thick acrylic, the weight would keep it on." this would raise the cost to the consumers thou"......
.. "side note.... im gonna drill the holes for the vents a little bigger and see if that helps" [i will update this}...
85dcb47d.jpg

then came my next problem that would be a easy fix......
removing the cup...
it pulls rite off but it gets kind of annoying that you have to remove the airline everytime..."the fix would be adding the silincer holder to the bottom of the neck flange"
this would allow the silencer to be attached to the body and never have to be handled for emptying the cup etc......
e8ecc5bb.jpg

i must say i can fill the cup in a day and a half!!!!! that's kicking butt!!!!!!

so all in all thats my intial thoughts........ I WILL DEFINATLY KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE AND LET EVERYONE KNOW AS TIME PROGRESSES "STILL KINDA BREAKING IN".......:xd:
pro's......
#1 COST!!!!!!!
#2 LEARNING EXP.....
#3 EASE OF ASSEMBLING AND FUN!!!!!!!
#4 IT'S A PERFORMER
#5 MY HATS OFF TO YOU GUYS FOR A AMAZINGLY COOL KIT AND GETTING MORE PEOPLE INVOLVED DEEPER INTO THE HOBBY LIKE MYSELF......:tongue:

CONS.....
NOT MUCH BUT THOSE COUPLE LITTLE THINGS I MENTIONED BUT I GAVE SOME EASY FIXES FOR THEM SO IM SURE AVAST WILL LOOK INTO THEM......
REMOVING THE AIRLINE TO EMPTY THE CUP..... "NOT A BIG DEAL, BUT A EASY FIX" SO I MENTIONED IT
AND THAT WOULD BE ABOUT IT.........

i know other people are gonna have different things to say etc.... but just when you think well why this or that!!!!! remember the price tag!!!!!! you cant touch a skimmer for this price that performs this well anywhere....ya sure they could use this or that but it's gonna drive the price way up.... for a sicce powered skimmer in this dollar range where amongst the top few here imho.........
so that would be my un-biased most honest opinion i can give.....;)
great job fellas.....
anyone looking to learn about acrylic or diy projects this should be up there on you list...;)
feel free to ask questions or share your exp. here......:nerd:

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to agree with you Lee there machining was perfect for my reactor also. like the commercial says even a cave man OR woman can do it.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice observations Lee. It is an interesting process designing for kit form. Like you mention, there are subtle things I would do differently for a skimmer if I was building it for production. The goal here was to produce a solid performer at a reasonable price that was easy enough to put together for a first time DIYer. So far no one has had any trouble putting them together so that makes us extremely happy with the design. Break in should take a full 2 weeks with this kit due to the way we produce our cones. I think the lid will stay put much better after this break in time, that is some nice frothy goodness though for not being broke in yet :)

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^^ agreed....... there was definatly alot of thought put into this i can tell, since i have built them from scratch...... the assembly video rocks so there shouldnt be any problems like you mentioned.... it wasn't a fly by night thought to make a some quick bucks i know that much.....
just the ease of the kit is like you mentioned for a first time diy'er.....
production skimmers like you mention i know alot of things would be different and alot faster to machine since you wouldn't need grooves for everything etc. i see no problems with the kit honestly and it has found a new home on prop tank...... look's like the bk mini clone is going up for sale me and mojo built...;)

also a side note im not sure the depth you guys recomend, but i had it in 9" during the break in and flooded alot the pump is pulling alot of water "through put is always good" so i moved it up to 7" and it has been performing quiet well, if you people out there with the kits were wandering what depth.... im gonna give it another week to really break in and i will put meters on it at different depth's and get numbers"WATTAGE AND AIR DRAW" to find the real sweet spot.... but from observations 7" looks like a good one.....
kudos AVAST MARINE!!!!!! :bigsmile:

bella aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i added a silencer holder to neck, added a tapped block to hold bubble chamber
sanded and fmaed all edges
i also used weldon #4 and #16 instaed of supplied glue

JF2381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty nice for under $300. I have been thinking about ordering their swabbie.

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Looking DIY Skimmer.
I picked up 3 of there DIY Reactors and had the same quality craftsmanship.

It is no fun
If You Buy it already Put together

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 26 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back