Avast Kalk Stirrer Motor upgrade

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Also interested in the 45 rpm motor. Please send detail on where you found it.
Where did you get the motor? I am interested in doing the same upgrade
I am happy to report that a combination of the zip tie mod and the 45rpm motor successfully keeps the Kalk in suspension and produces a skim milk slurry.
The motor I purchased is here (https://a.co/d/dWQXu45).

This picture is after two hours of running. There is zero observable settling of the Kalk powder
5058142E-AEA9-40A5-BD80-D1E18A025C25.jpeg

C02A4534-6330-4435-AB09-F670F4242B89.jpeg

yamahonda400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How noisy is the 45rpm motor? This is a great idea btw. I've been looking to do slurry, and this seems to be the safest way.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing! My Alkalinity consumption is almost at the same level as evaporation. I will definitely try this when the system need more Alkalinity.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report that a combination of the zip tie mod and the 45rpm motor successfully keeps the Kalk in suspension and produces a skim milk slurry.
The motor I purchased is here (https://a.co/d/dWQXu45).

This picture is after two hours of running. There is zero observable settling of the Kalk powder
5058142E-AEA9-40A5-BD80-D1E18A025C25.jpeg

C02A4534-6330-4435-AB09-F670F4242B89.jpeg
Do you think the aquarium water is still crystal clear, or has the slurry milked up the display a little bit ?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you going to replenish with kalk? seems like the potency of the slurry could could go down failrly quick depending on how much rodi you are adding.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you going to replenish with kalk? seems like the potency of the slurry could could go down failrly quick depending on how much rodi you are adding.

Only way I could see around it is to stop the stirring like 10 minutes before dosing to let it settle a bit..

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
How noisy is the 45rpm motor? This is a great idea btw. I've been looking to do slurry, and this seems to be the safest way.
Totally silent or at least no louder than the stock one. It does produce a bit more heat though so I may add a vent hole or two to the motor housing.

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
TBD. I am monitoring my alkalinity closely four times a day with my Trident and will see how long it takes to deplete.

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I don't think you would want to do this as the slurry concentration will be continually decreasing. It will be hard to dose consistently
How is that any different from normal Kalk dosing where you settle it out into diluted limewater? By what mechanism would the slurry drop in potency?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is that any different from normal Kalk dosing where you settle it out into diluted limewater? By what mechanism would the slurry drop in potency?

You have a fixed amount of kalk mixed with a fixed amount of water to start with to make a slurry. When you add some to your tank you are removing some of the kalk but replacing the water you used so the ratio of kalk/water is going to be reduced.

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
You have a fixed amount of kalk mixed with a fixed amount of water to start with to make a slurry. When you add some to your tank you are removing some of the kalk but replacing the water you used so the ratio of kalk/water is going to be reduced.
Ah I see. I am going to trial this but yeah, it’s going to take some dialing. I may end up on a process that stops the motor ten minutes before each dose to let it settle just enough to avoid that.

The slurry is also wayyy more potent. I went from dosing over 4000mL of settled limewater a day to less than 350mL of the slurry. I don’t anticipate the reduction in potency to be a huge issue but we’ll see over the next week.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. I am going to trial this but yeah, it’s going to take some dialing. I may end up on a process that stops the motor ten minutes before each dose to let it settle just enough to avoid that.

The slurry is also wayyy more potent. I went from dosing over 4000mL of settled limewater a day to less than 350mL of the slurry. I don’t anticipate the reduction in potency to be a huge issue but we’ll see over the next week.
The problem is you can't dial it in. It's a moving target. Unless you get a perfect algorithm where your dosing increases over time. But then you factor in increased demand from coral growth and thats another factor.

The slurry potency is the problem. It means small changes in concentration of kalk create huge changes in how much impact a set amount of dosing can cause.

I would highly recommend setting your trident to test more often and look at mahina corals and telegraham for more information about dosing kalk slurry.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my avast K2 24/7
I run my 20 minutes on every two hours. Keeps the Kalk pretty close to saturated. If I got up to 30 minutes every hour...i get fully saturated (to the best I can tell as the ph is what I am expecting). However, for the minor increase in saturation, decided to cut my electricity consumption by 2/3s

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back