Avast Marine products

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't dealt with them, so I am just wondering anyone's experiences? In particular,I ask looking at their calcium reactor kit. Any and all input on their products it's most appreciated..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own anything from them but have seen a lot of their products from friend's tanks who run them and I would run them on my system if needed seem well made!

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thank you! I was watching the build video and have downloaded the assembly manual. I just wanted to get a bit of feedback on their products overall, as for example, the reactor I'm looking at is extremely inexpensive. Usually, that's alarm bells, but I just want to check.

Thanks much for your reply. I appreciate it greatly..

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great company, I have the DIY K2 kalk stirrer kit which is awesome and their auto top off kit I use as a safety device (DIY Davy Jones' Locker) for my skimmer to prevent it from flood my house again.....long story there, but if you use a lot of TLF coral epoxy all at once, a skimmer will go crazy :)

great quality and craftsmenship in their products, they use a combination of PVC and cast acrylic in their reactors and skimmers to keep the expense to a minimum, the finish is not perfect but definitely exceptable for the price, you may see some milling marks on the edges of some of the acrylic pieces but where they need to fit together well, they do, and glue together great.... DIY directions are well printed out and easy to follow, even for a first time acrylic project build like mine but if you'd rather them build it, they do that also...

any questions with their products, just shoot an email to 'em, it will be answered, likely, within 24 hours

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks red! Appreciated much.. The acrylic parts "looked" nice and sturdy from the video. I have missed with acrylic bonding on my own, and its made me very iffy on things.
I'm primarily a reef dynamics guy, but honestly,I can't justify one right now. Thus, my search for a quality reactor at a reasonable price.

I am just very surprised at "how" low it is in price(actually all of their products). I'm looking at the sea bones I. I have a figuratively small system(110dt and 55 fuge), so it's a strange size when your looking at calcium reactors.

Lol, I think I'm going to have to shoot them an email.

Thank you much again also..

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of their stuff is super high qaulity. Dont hesitate to purchase from them.

I have their MR5 reactor and am very happy with it. And am planning on getting their kalk stirrer as well.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks dow! Greatly appreciate the input!

Wow, cool! I think I'm going to have to break out the manual and read it.

Have you guys had any type of issue, no matter how small?

And what was the lead out time after you all ordered what you have?

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any issues with the equipment but I had some questions on how to connect a few things, they were quick to answer my questions and get me going trouble free, I don't think you'll be disappointed with anything you purchase from 'em, I know you'll be happy with customer service

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Excellent!

Lol,I don't feel bad now. I'm looking at the diagram and am sort of like huh.. Lol! I was like that with some my other things also, but since this involves co2,I want to be 200% sure...

I know this takes like 300.00 off the price of a reactor setup..

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Excellent!

Lol,I don't feel bad now. I'm looking at the diagram and am sort of like huh.. Lol! I was like that with some my other things also, but since this involves co2,I want to be 200% sure...

I know this takes like 300.00 off the price of a reactor setup..

completely understandable.....

it's always best to research every aspect of this hobby, especially equipment, the Ca reactor body is only part of the system, you're gonna need a CO2 tank and a good regulator, a pH controller is a big plus too, look for quality used if you're on a tight budget but get good equipment to insure a safe reliable system, some welding shops will have the tank and can refill them when needed also some hobby shops that deal in paintball guns will have CO2 tanks and refills

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm looking at the aquatic life regulator and solenoid. I have an apex, so I'm going to let that control it. The co2 bottle of the one thing I'm not sure of and will have to look into further.

I don't want to do used to be honest with this, since you just never know along with, basically, I'm going to be getting a complete system, for a little over what I would have paid for just the dynamics reactor alone.

I emailed them with my two questions and hope they get back with me soon. I will have to check local places for the bottles of gas..

Thanks dude!

cryptics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thank you. I am leaning towards getting it. How difficult is it to assemble?

claussen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thank you. I am leaning towards getting it. How difficult is it to assemble?

It was pretty easy - and a lot of fun to assemble.

The biggest challenge for me, was the cone. It has a glue joint running top to bottom. (part 3 in the assembly guide ) It took a little sanding to improve the alignment, but this is a DIY kit. ;)

actually I take that back. The biggest challenge for *me* was reading the guide. I'm a jump in and start putting things together guy, but you only get one shot with acrylic, so I forced myself to read the guide twice.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback.I actually found that I have a strange issue.

Because of my kalk stirrer, the calcium level stays at approx 505 with consumption. I barely have my calcium dripping(2 part) at all, and I think I'm just going to cut it off until it can't keep up from the kalk solution. I actually did this already for three days to test it, and that's how I obtained the 505 value. I was surprised, so I checked it the times with two tests and also my Hanna checker(which they're coming out with new reagents, so I have to call back for some).

So suffice it, I will not be purchasing the reactor at this point. I'm guessing probably a year or so(just a quick two second guess) so off. Though,I was looking extremely forward to building it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back