Avatar photos (better photo was requested)

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are they?

FLASH
FlashAOI.jpg

NO FLASH
noflashaoi.jpg

Are these mellow yellows?
mellowyellow.jpg

OP
OP
da6d2003

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the slowest growing zoos I've ever had. They are about 3 years in my tank and I've fragged them 3 times locally. No one has been able to keep them alive in their tanks. I still don't know what they are though.

OP
OP
da6d2003

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 died immediately so I sent another which lived for a couple of weeks. The 3rd frag stayed alive for a few months and then deteiorated.

OP
OP
da6d2003

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maroonytunes, out of curiosity, do you care to share you aclimation procedure?

maroonytunes

Reefing Without Coral
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To tell the truth, I'm acclimating five frags right now.I float the bag for 30 minutes, wait fifteen minutes.I then pour about 2-3oz of water into the bag, every 10-15 minutes I do this for about two hours, and then I place the frags in.I know everyone says drip acclimating is the best, but I've never lost a frag that I've owned.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
da6d2003 said:

i'll share mine. rip the bag open, dump the water out, inspect visually, toss in tank.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do what Maroonytunes does and have had always good luck with it. I did the exact same procedure to a sweet 12 polyp frag or the coolest RPEs and xome of those green PE that have been coming in on the same frag plug that cost a pretty penny. They all died with 3 weeks, I then got a replacement polyp of RPE from the LFS I deal with same procedure and it withered away in about 2 weeks. I decided I really had to have one and traded some leather coral for a single polyp of RPE and did the Twon method and guess what? IT is doing 10x better then the others did with no acclimation what so ever.....This hobby is here to frustrate you no matter how you do it. Now there is actually a new polyp sprouting out from it....Who knows All I know is both ways work.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same as twon, but it gets a fw bath first. Not that i reccoment it, Maroons way is probably alot better.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've asked at a few LFS, and they don't acclimate their corals.

One of the LFS managers has many years of hardcore experience in the marine ornamental industry and in academic research. Most recently he had been overseeing the setup and operation of a coral mariculture facility on the islands. I've seen him bring in all kinds of corals, and he doesn't acclimate.

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I read recently relates to ammonia.

If an animal or coral is fouling the water, the ammonia levels rise. If the pH is low as with old water, it's not so much a problem because the NH3 is bound up as NH4+ which is not so harmful for the organism.

If you do a water change, or anything which starts raising the pH back to more normal levels, the NH4+ starts releasing the NH3 which is what causes the big problems. I believe that is why some vendors don't recommend slow acclimation for recently shipped snails.

Picked up the ammonia tip in the fish breeding forum on RC, I think. That was a warning on dealing with ammonia in larvae tanks. Fish larvae being among the most delicate organisms.

organism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twon8 said:
da6d2003 said:

i'll share mine. rip the bag open, dump the water out, inspect visually, toss in tank.

I do the same, with a freshwater iodine shake n bake thrown in for good measure, I think that zoos are probably in a bag with awful water parameters by the time they arrive at their destination due to die off on the rocks since they grow in pretty nutrient rich conditions, and leaving them in the water longer by drip acclimating just stresses them further

organism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Ugly said:
One thing that I read recently relates to ammonia.

If an animal or coral is fouling the water, the ammonia levels rise. If the pH is low as with old water, it's not so much a problem because the NH3 is bound up as NH4+ which is not so harmful for the organism.

If you do a water change, or anything which starts raising the pH back to more normal levels, the NH4+ starts releasing the NH3 which is what causes the big problems. I believe that is why some vendors don't recommend slow acclimation for recently shipped snails.

Picked up the ammonia tip in the fish breeding forum on RC, I think. That was a warning on dealing with ammonia in larvae tanks. Fish larvae being among the most delicate organisms.

exactly! I read the same study, it seems that a lot of industry professionals recommend minimal acclimating after shipping, and I'm definitely all about taking time saving advice

OP
OP
da6d2003

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the advice.

Ok, back to my original question....

What do you think the name of these 2 animals are?

Shultz

Spiderman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally float the bag(s) for 30mins to bring the water upto temp & then dip them as per Mucho's thread on RC. then in the tank on the bottom until they settle.....

Cheers Shelton.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shultz said:
I normally float the bag(s) for 30mins to bring the water upto temp & then dip them as per Mucho's thread on RC. then in the tank on the bottom until they settle.....

Cheers Shelton.

this is pretty much what I do also.. :)

Marvin

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back