Average Accuracy of Glass Hydrometers

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it's really been bothering me for a while that I don't know exactly where my salinity stands (I think it might be up to 3ppt off which would be detrimental for the starfish) so I was thinking about getting a glass hydrometer but where I am the Tropic Marin hydrometer isn't available and I wouldn't want to pay $35 for it anyway because I know every scientific instrument has standard error. My question is just how accurate is the average glass hydrometer? Does anyone use one other than the Tropic Marin one?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it's really been bothering me for a while that I don't know exactly where my salinity stands (I think it might be up to 3ppt off which would be detrimental for the starfish) so I was thinking about getting a glass hydrometer but where I am the Tropic Marin hydrometer isn't available and I wouldn't want to pay $35 for it anyway because I know every scientific instrument has standard error. My question is just how accurate is the average glass hydrometer? Does anyone use one other than the Tropic Marin one?
Yes. I bought this glass hydrometer off of Amazon, and it was off about 2 ppt. It's also somewhat hard to read. Then again, it's much more compact and easy-to-use than the Tropic Marin beast, which requires a wheelie bin or other large container due to its large size.

I think that these mini hydrometers are fine as long as you can back it up with an accurate refractometer -- and remember how far it's off in its readings. I find that it's just much faster to use a refractometer, even with its need for occasional recalibration.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are super accurate and good because it’s simply using density to tell what the salinity is a tried and true formula/principle whatever you want to call it. Plus they are widely used in a variety of resources assuming you got a saltwater hydrometer…though a beer one could theoretically work. And bonus they don’t have to be calibrated so it’s virtually human error proof besides the risk of breaking it. I have one. Look at Amazon they are relatively inexpensive too.

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the phone w the lfs today asking for a refractometer / they had hydrometers but also claimed they were unreliable / inaccurate I don’t what brand it was though

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the phone w the lfs today asking for a refractometer / they had hydrometers but also claimed they were unreliable / inaccurate I don’t what brand it was though
They call the plastic ones you fill with water hydrometers too which is probably what they were talking about

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thanks guys, I was hoping to hear they were all generally really accurate though because of how they work...I guess it does take some precision to make a really accurate one though

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…though a beer one could theoretically work.
If you're talking about a beerfractometer, don't do that. I speak from personal experience! I raised my SG to over 1.037 with one (bought off Amazon by mistake) and fried a Kenya Tree.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're talking about a beerfractometer, don't do that. I speak from personal experience! I raised my SG to over 1.037 with one (bought off Amazon by mistake) and fried a Kenya Tree.
Oh okay I’ve never used one. But I know it can depend on the exact one being used. I have a saltwater one and I did say theoretically but I’d definitely go with a saltwater one. I believe there are some other food grade ones that could work though. As it’s not just used in beer/winemaking. I just have heard of people using ones that are also for food/drinks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main advantage of a glass hydrometer is that it is more consistent than anything that needs to be calibrated. Swing arm hydrometers are notoriously unreliable but glass hydrometers are great, provided you know how far out they are (if at all).
Yeah, that's why I was actually thinking about buying a glass hydrometer instead of calibration fluid for my refractometer since for some reason there aren't many calibration fluids available here and hydrometers would actually be about the same price (but I want accuracy if I go that route otherwise it defeats the purpose)

No haha, I know the difference...there are actually way more hydrometers for alcohol than salinity for sale but since alcohol has a different density it wouldn't work right

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay I’ve never used one. But I know it can depend on the exact one being used. I have a saltwater one and I did say theoretically but I’d definitely go with a saltwater one. I believe there are some other food grade ones that could work though. As it’s not just used in beer/winemaking.
Well you can use one: it will give consistent readings, but they'll be consistently off by a very large margin, and you always have to keep that in mind if using it. It took me a while to figure out that that unit was off by at least 12 ppt for saltwater reading. I put mine far, far away as I didn't want to make another catastrophic mistake with it.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well you can use one: it will give consistent readings, but they'll be consistently off by a very large margin, and you always have to keep that in mind if using it. It took me a while to figure out that that unit was off by at least 12 ppt for saltwater reading. I put mine far, far away as I didn't want to make another catastrophic mistake with it.
True! It also depends on the scale that’s on it. If it seems to have a saltwater scale or being 20-40 ppt. or having 1.026 on it vs something like 100-500 then that wouldn’t work.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frustrating thing about hydrometers is that temperature matters and can affect the reading
And I know only part of this article is free but it explains some info: https://study.com/academy/lesson/hydrometer-definition-scales-uses.html
Thank you Ayden, I actually know how to use them and everything, I was just wondering what people's experience with different brands were and if they were all very accurate because if I buy an inexpensive one I just wasted money if it isn't reliable

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only glass hydrometer that I have (or have used) that's been completely accurate (within my ability to cross-check it with three different refractometers and a swing-arm hydrometer) is the Tropic Marin. Every other one has been off a bit, even if not by that much in the end.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tropic marin one is:
  • Maximum deviation: 0.001 at 77° F (25° C)

I do agree its quite cumbersome to store due to its large size, but its not terrible to use. I toss it in the sump (with return off) if i need to check the tank salinity and in whatever container I am mixing salt in.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only glass hydrometer that I have (or have used) that's been completely accurate (within my ability to cross-check it with three different refractometers and a swing-arm hydrometer) is the Tropic Marin. Every other one has been off a bit, even if not by that much in the end.
The only issue is I'm not in the States and they don't sell it on Amazon...also $35 is a little bit more than I was hoping to spend before shipping

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back