Avoiding microbubbles on Trigger Platinum Sump + Neptune Apex Salinity/Conductivity probe

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I wonder if anyone else is facing challenges keeping micro air bubbles out of their salinity/conductivity probe.

The probe holder on the Trigger Systems Platinum Sump is in the same section as the skimmer. My skimmer (Reef Octopus Elite 200 Super Space Saver) keeps releasing micro bubbles in spite of adjusting the height and adding multiple sponges in an attempt to catch them before the salinity probe.

Because of the bubbles, the salinity measurement keeps drifting all the time. It drifts around 2ppt per week, sometimes it’s worse. It’s so bad that I no longer bother looking at it on the dashboard. Let alone setting alarms.
1612114548480.png

I’ve thought about moving the probes to downstream sections but the next one is the algae reactor and I don’t want it to start filling with algae. The next section is the return pump which changes water level every time I feed. I understand that the probes are not expected to be fully submerged so I guess that section is also out.

Any thoughts?

If any Trigger Systems Platinum + Apex user sees this, I’d love to check out your setup. Thanks!

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well.. i have a trigger system and the trigger platinum (but not with your setup).. maybe try putting an acclimation box around the probes to kill the bubbles before they get to it.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my salinity probe fully submerged for nearly 3 years. I mount it upside down in my return chamber so no bubbles can get trapped. Neptune states that the cord can become brittle over time, but they don't state how long that will take. I keep it in an area where the cord won't get bumped so even if it's brittle it's not causing any problem.

Here's my salinity graph. The large dip was during sump maintenance where the probe was exposed to the air for an hour.
Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 5.50.01 PM.png

FYI: I'm about to install a Trigger Platinum34 in the next few weeks. I intend to keep my probes in the return chamber again, using the magnetic probe holder from my current sump. It's a shame Trigger doesn't let you reposition their probe holder.

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounting them upside down sounds really interesting. Do you only do that with the salinity probe?
Besides having to replace the probe, what would be the risks of it breaking?
I recall reading there was some liquid inside. Wonder if it is toxic. Or if exposing the leads to saltwater could damage the Apex.
I'll definitely look at that option. Thank you very much @SuncrestReef !

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back