Status
Not open for further replies.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a little contradictory. You first blame Penn State for not following the law then you blame Taylor Engineering.

I tried to open the PDF but my computer says it is corrupt. From what I see, I will be shocked if you took this to court and won. Send a cease and desist letter and see what they say.

What is not true?

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CHRG-113hhrg86454/pdf/CHRG-113hhrg86454.pdf

qxptplnxqtrhme965gal.jpg

Note. It says Usually safe.
And Im guessing the "visual Communications guy" is not a copyright attorney at getty images, sony, warner Bmi or others.
Fair use is a very grey area usually resulting in litigation when discovered. No public or private school or district,print or online magazine, national fraternal or charitable organization, major or minor studio, local television or advertiser I have been employed by would attempt this "fair use" explanation as they already have intellectual material copyright policies in place.
Just sayin'

yea you can put a pic on your phone. You cant put it on your company's phones.
no more thread jacking.

Renee your pics are the bomb!
Sorry the kid they hired off Craigslist for less than minimum wage on 1099 so they could avoid the extra $299 jacked your work.
Welcome to America!

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note. It says Usually safe.
And Im guessing the "visual Communications guy" is not a copyright attorney at getty images, sony, warner Bmi or others.
Fair use is a very grey area usually resulting in litigation when discovered. No public or private school or district,print or online magazine, national fraternal or charitable organization, major or minor studio, local television or advertiser I have been employed by would attempt this "fair use" explanation as they already have intellectual material copyright policies in place.
Just sayin'

no more thread jacking.

Renee your pics are the bomb!
Sorry the kid they hired off Craigslist for less than minimum wage on 1099 so they could avoid the extra $299 jacked your work.
Welcome to America!

Public schools and private schools use the fair act doctrine all the time. When teachers make powerpoints, handouts and show videos in class. How about when a teacher photocopies a section of a book, newspaper article or magazine article. TV stations and studios use the same doctrine as well. Do you think Colt or Sig Saucer gave Michael Moore permission to use their logo, products or advertisements in Bowling for Columbine? How about when Bill Mayer uses Fox News clips on his show?

I don't think this is a thread derail. This is actually very related to the OP. What is a derail is your baseless assumption that the company hired a kid off of Craigslist and is breaking the law by paying him less then minimum wage. Do you actually think an engineering firm main concern is the graphic design on report they put together? I am not sure what your welcome to America comment is about. It sounds like a sarcastic remark. What is wrong with America?

What does this even mean?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this even mean?[/QUOTE]
it means its illegal. think about it.
if you dont know what it means then you dont know copyright and usage laws.

documentary laws are different. News coverage is different. both are edited for content BTW to avoid the conflict.
Schools actually have very complex copyright and usage laws. I know. They hire me.
film studios do not use the same doctrine. They have "a clearance house" I know they hire me.
Bill has a huge legal staff covering copyright & usage.
its not baseless nor is it a derail, it is on point. I do this for a living.
it should be a concern to them on a published report as its is violating copyright laws and they can be sued.
In america we now feel any picture we see we can use for free. unless you are actually in the industry. And yes I am sarcastic.
Had they used an actual professional aware of copyright & usage laws and the now stupidly inexpensive access to stock photography or just asked for written permission and not cut costs we would not be having this debate.
its petty theft.

Bored now. Bye.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they had of lifted one of my pictures just to ID them or whatever, but but......

"Introduction methods..... Renee's Tank". das cold.....
Soo that's the plot your working on with your new tank... global ecological destruction. LOL.

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is illegal to have a picture on your company phone, that is BS. Any case law supporting this claim.

I find it hard to believe that schools and studios hire you to deal with copyright laws.

No public or private school or district,print or online magazine, national fraternal or charitable organization, major or minor studio, local television or advertiser I have been employed by would attempt this "fair use" explanation

documentary laws are different. News coverage is different. both are edited for content BTW to avoid the conflict.
Schools actually have very complex copyright and usage laws.

Your clueless and is evident by your ever changing defense. First no organizations will use the fair use doctrine then some organization will use it.

If you are bored I will send you some of my work from law school. You might be able to learn something.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hilarious. Renee isn't suing.

Study your books more. I think you're missing how this works. It MAY be fair use but like all things, the argument doesn't matter until it stands up to scrutiny in court. Until then it is all opinion.

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hilarious. Renee isn't suing.

Study your books more. I think you're missing how this works. It MAY be fair use but like all things, the argument doesn't matter until it stands up to scrutiny in court. Until then it is all opinion.

I know exactly how it works. I know that Renee is not suing but based on case law this will not hold up if she did.

You are correct it is up to the courts to decide, but it seems you don't know exactly how the legal system works. The person/organization doesn't have to go to court to prove they have the right to use the photo. It is up to the person who took the photo to go to court and prove that they are not allowed to use the photo.

I think you need to read some books on law of now the picture is legit to use in that context until a court says otherwise.

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does that have to do with anything? The simple threat of a lawsuit for something so simple is enough to end the conversation. I don't believe you are in law school as you claim but you're perhaps a skilled novice.

I work with lawyers every day and you simply don't speak as one skilled in the art would.

Your arguments on this thread don't add to the conversation. Someone used Renees image without her permission and she isn't happy about it. Maybe along friends.

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does that have to do with anything? The simple threat of a lawsuit for something so simple is enough to end the conversation. I don't believe you are in law school as you claim but you're perhaps a skilled novice.

I work with lawyers every day and you simply don't speak as one skilled in the art would.

Your arguments on this thread don't add to the conversation. Someone used Renees image without her permission and she isn't happy about it. Maybe along friends.

Which one of my comments is not relevant and does not add to the conversation. When I mentioned fair use or the fact that the burden is on the OP to seek a judges order that the picture violates copyright laws? Just because someone used her pictures without her permission doesn't mean it is illegal.

Ask one of the lawyers you work with to take her case in contigency. Once you do that report back on what they said.

I don't believe you are in law school perhaps a skilled novice.

You are right I am not in law school, I graduated. I am pretty skilled and since I only graduated 3 1/2 years ago I am still concidered a novice.

Maybe along friends.

?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The irony is lost.... the joke has fizzled.... let's move on....

We can argue if the use of the picture dishonored @Lionfish Lair, the OP, who's name is Renee. But let's all honor her wishes quoted above and put this to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back