awc dos or versa

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant decide on which to go with can you all give some input. i hear the pros and cons on dos but not much on versa what are your thoughts

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not even consider the Dos personally. Too much money, too bulky, too ugly, too unreliable and looks like a kids toy. Versa is hard to find.

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say DOS (if you already have an APEX) over Versa. I believe it works to pretty much the same cost after you get 2 Versa pumps. I tried to run a Versa (had trouble getting a 2nd) and found it very slow in comparison to the DOS that I now use.

I currently run a schedule on my DOS from 7 am to 1 pm to remove/add water in my sump; ~2g per day. I pull 750ml, then add it back with a few min gap in between so that the new water has a chance to push through the system before I suck more back out.
7:00 - 750ml out
7:15 - 750ml in
The pump is actually done in about 5 mins, so I could cut my schedule in 1/2.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both of my DOS work perfectly. I run one for 2 part and one for awc. I love them! Good luck finding a versa. They are nowhere to be found.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an AutoAqua. I think they don't make them anymore, but it's a good option if you can find one used, and don'rt already have a different ATO. The pumps are weak, which may or may not be an issue depending on the size of your containers/tanks and head pressure, but it does what it says on the tin and does so cheaply.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down, no question about it... Versa's. The reason why I say that is that versa can run constantly and you don't have to schedule the awc during times that you're not home so that you don't hear the pumps running.

I've had 2 versas running as AWC since last december, and they change out 6 gallons a day everyday all day. It has promoted stability in the tank in ways I didn't even imagine possible.

The pumps are a lot quieter than dos and can be used as a stand alone piece of equipment. I've used both and have since sold off my dos pumps and now have a full line up of versa's to do all sorts of other tasks.

I even have a full blown apex and wouldn't consider using dos for anything.

For me it's a no brainer.

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down, no question about it... Versa's. The reason why I say that is that versa can run constantly and you don't have to schedule the awc during times that you're not home so that you don't hear the pumps running.

I've had 2 versas running as AWC since last december, and they change out 6 gallons a day everyday all day. It has promoted stability in the tank in ways I didn't even imagine possible.

The pumps are a lot quieter than dos and can be used as a stand alone piece of equipment. I've used both and have since sold off my dos pumps and now have a full line up of versa's to do all sorts of other tasks.

I even have a full blown apex and wouldn't consider using dos for anything.

For me it's a no brainer.
A question for you:

How times over the 11 or so months have you needed to replace the tubes? I saw some a comment that they needed to replace the tubes every 6 weeks for AWC application, that would be a deal breaker, but it doesn't seem it should be the case?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back