AWC Setup Questions

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into setting up my own AWC and I'm trying to come up with the best method to insure that the pumps don't take too much water out or put too much back in.

I have two floats switches ready to install. I was thinking of putting a high and low switch, the low switch for the water removal, and a high switch for the new water.

Does that make sense? Anyone have any additional suggestions?

Ichthus1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Apex ATK with my Apex system. The lower optical switch stops the water change. I have an extra optical switch, with the magnetic mount, that turns off the pump in the saltwater reservoir. There is a PMUP in the sump that removes the water. The one on the magnetic mount is adjustable so I can control the size of the water change. I use this system to do daily water changes.

Always have a backup plan. It's a good idea to install a second float switch, or set a timeout on how long the pumps can run, so you don't add or remove too much water.

20180707_134406.jpg

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up
I'm looking into setting up my own AWC and I'm trying to come up with the best method to insure that the pumps don't take too much water out or put too much back in.

I have two floats switches ready to install. I was thinking of putting a high and low switch, the low switch for the water removal, and a high switch for the new water.

Does that make sense? Anyone have any additional suggestions?

Did you end up getting the AWC to work? Which method did you end up going with?

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using the Apex DOS. Significantly easier to manage than putting a bunch of floats in my sump. I'd highly recommend that method. The DOS is loud, but its spot on and I've had ZERO issues so far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back