Axolotls (Mexican Walking Fish)

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have any? I have 1 standard black male, and an albino gold something female. I've had the black one for months, his name is Toothless, and the gold (Sophia) for about a month now.

Today, I noticed them being very affectionate with one another. Then very aggressive mating behavior. Looks like I'll be having some weird colored babies soon!

20191028_072457.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have any? I have 1 standard black male, and an albino gold something female. I've had the black one for months, his name is Toothless, and the gold (Sophia) for about a month now.

Today, I noticed them being very affectionate with one another. Then very aggressive mating behavior. Looks like I'll be having some weird colored babies soon!

20191028_072457.jpg
Luv them

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's super cool!! Congrats!

Thanks! These are super fun and easy to take care of. 1 worm each per day and they stay fat and happy as can be. They just sit and smile at you. Truth be told, I wasn't planning on Sophia actually being a female. Some are easier to tell than others. I told my kids, (5 & 6), that she was a girl so they named her that.

When I got her, she was missing half of her face, and 2 legs. In less than a month, she's grown all of it back and couldn't be any healthier.

Fun fact about these guys- when they're ill, you can just put them in a Tupperware full of water and throw the whole thing in the fridge for a while. After a few hours, good as new. Amazing creatures.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. iPhones cannot see the direct loaded videos. would love to see this one, LOL!

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are there like “quick stats” like tank size, feeding, temp those kind of stuff
Quick stats: 10g for a single axl. You can have like 10 in a 20g. They just tend to get a bit cannibalistic. But just like a bad haircut, it will grow back

They prefer cooler temps <70°f

They will eat ANYTHING that's smaller than their heads. Worms are just a good diet. Also stupid cheap at petsmart. 3 bucks per container that'll last these guys 2 weeks with 1 per day

Overfeeding can be an issue, you're only supposed to feed them as much as it takes to make the stomach as big around as its head.

They don't have any special lighting requirements, as their natural habitat is underground around Mexico City.

Last I check they were critically endangered, due to the contaminates being introduced into their water

Their being studied by stem cell teams because of their regeneration capabilities, for human benefits

They're different from other amphibians because they don't go through metamorphosis due to a iodine deficiency

You can "evolve" them like a pokemon and force them into metamorphosis with iodine supplements, though I'm not sure how much, (or why you would)

Not sure what the cost is anywhere else, but for the standard black, its 20 bucks here, special colorations like albino, lusistic (dirty lucy), gold, pie bald - are around 3-4x as much.

Quick wiki link

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick stats: 10g for a single axl. You can have like 10 in a 20g. They just tend to get a bit cannibalistic. But just like a bad haircut, it will grow back

They prefer cooler temps <70°f

They will eat ANYTHING that's smaller than their heads. Worms are just a good diet. Also stupid cheap at petsmart. 3 bucks per container that'll last these guys 2 weeks with 1 per day

Overfeeding can be an issue, you're only supposed to feed them as much as it takes to make the stomach as big around as its head.

They don't have any special lighting requirements, as their natural habitat is underground around Mexico City.

Last I check they were critically endangered, due to the contaminates being introduced into their water

Their being studied by stem cell teams because of their regeneration capabilities, for human benefits

They're different from other amphibians because they don't go through metamorphosis due to a iodine deficiency

You can "evolve" them like a pokemon and force them into metamorphosis with iodine supplements, though I'm not sure how much, (or why you would)

Not sure what the cost is anywhere else, but for the standard black, its 20 bucks here, special colorations like albino, lusistic (dirty lucy), gold, pie bald - are around 3-4x as much.

Quick wiki link
Thanks. What do they evolve to? A raichu? Or perhaps a charizard?

OP
OP
Chefwheredyougo

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gf keeps the house cool year round, so no chiller is needed for me. Tank water is about 64°f on a hot day.
They do not like a lot of flow, so I use a standard "whisper" filter for a 20g

40% Water changes every other week with tap

They have no teeth, (Toothless)

They swim around from time to time. My black is a more active swimmer than my gold, she prefers to just walk around

Other than feeding, they just chill. I hand feed them both. They snatch the worms with ferocity. But just as quickly as they get it, it's gone and they go back to big chilling

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back