AZMSGT build thread

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium stays pretty high, hasn't seemed to be an issue thus far.

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress.

I added water to the tank and started it cycling. It’s got Dr Tims and Microbacter7 in it. The MP-40s are running to provide flow.

Also been working on the dry side of the cabinet. Mounted most of the power supplies and controls.

I can’t run the sump till I clamp the main return line. The clamp I need(want) will be here Thursday to secure the return line. Once that is secure, I’ll be able to get the sump running. It’s all about steps to get to the end.

Also installed LED under cabinet lights.
What light kit is that? Is it bright enough to help?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light kit is that? Is it bright enough to help?
That is the EcoTech MultiLight RMS. You buy all the parts separately. I removed the vertical arms on mine and went to wires to hold the bar and lights. I did this for easier tank cover removal.
If you’re interested in the vertical arms PM me, I’ll make a good deal. 50% BRS price plus shipping. USA only.

the lights are Radion G430pros so yes, they are bright enough.

I went from this

to this

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about your crab murders and the mp40 issue. :(

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress.

I added water to the tank and started it cycling. It’s got Dr Tims and Microbacter7 in it. The MP-40s are running to provide flow.

Also been working on the dry side of the cabinet. Mounted most of the power supplies and controls.

I can’t run the sump till I clamp the main return line. The clamp I need(want) will be here Thursday to secure the return line. Once that is secure, I’ll be able to get the sump running. It’s all about steps to get to the end.

Also installed LED under cabinet lights.
I meant how did these lights work out in the cabinet area?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant how did these lights work out in the cabinet area?
They worked great, only negative is that the glue that holds them up has started to give out. Probably my fault, I didn’t clean the surface with alcohol before sticking them up. I likely should have used the little clamp things in the kit. Otherwise I recommend them. They are from Home Depot BTW.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 6 fish to the tank today. Thanks @Humblefish
1 Potters Angel
1 Kole tang
1 Tomni Tang
1 Lyretail Anthias
1 Red fire fish
1 Purple fire fish

This should be the last of the fish I put in the tank. Now I am down to adding a few more corals and letting everything settle in and grow.

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, the tank looks great so far. I love the frag shelf. Do you plan to attach them on the reef? If so, where? I definitely see a beautiful future for your tanK!!

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, the tank looks great so far. I love the frag shelf. Do you plan to attach them on the reef? If so, where? I definitely see a beautiful future for your tanK!!
Thanks, Yes, all those frags will get attached.. reason they are still on the rack is I’m not sure just where I want to put them yet. Also I want to be sure I put them at a good height. Using the rack it allows me to acclimate frags going from low light down low to brighter light up high.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATO/AWC system is now fully operational.

GHL Maxi doser pumps drain and fill the system.

GHL optical sensors are used to monitor levels

Here’s the feed tubes

The red line is the AWC drain line.

Storage tanks are in the garage.

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey AZMSGT! This is looking so complicated to me. I am sure you are totally competent to do it. For me, I would be lost...lol. I may have to hire you in a year or two to come make my dream set-up!!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. I saw your post on another thread about tank manufacturer choices where you said you would never do Red Sea tank again. Which brought me to read up on your experience here.

Aside from the flimsy stand, what has changed your mind about RSR tanks? My only complaint about them is the flimsy ABS plumbing. My LFS probably has >100 RS tanks in service without failures (beyond the flimsy plumbing).

All that said, I do think WB is using better materials and I prefer some of their design choices as well.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. I saw your post on another thread about tank manufacturer choices where you said you would never do Red Sea tank again. Which brought me to read up on your experience here.

Aside from the flimsy stand, what has changed your mind about RSR tanks? My only complaint about them is the flimsy ABS plumbing. My LFS probably has >100 RS tanks in service without failures (beyond the flimsy plumbing).

All that said, I do think WB is using better materials and I prefer some of their design choices as well.
The stand is one major consideration that now has me turned off. Also they didn’t handle things very well with the 750 issues. Also some other tanks in their line have been experiencing issues. Lastly, I HATE the control valve and plumbing. For the money there are other tanks I would look at if I did it all over again.

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Curious if you have any of your tanks started up yet???

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my Maxi up and running with RO tubing as the in and out tubing. However I had one line pop off on me and I have not trusted the set up.

33CF2F11-2033-46AC-8685-0291DD885B72.jpeg

I saw a few pictures where APEX owners modified their DOS. Since the pump heads are practically identical I thought I would modify my MAXI pumps.

You need to cut the end off or it will get in the way of the tubing when the RO tube is installed in the new fittings.

5FB1A87B-7C98-4E60-B818-AB5CF941549B.jpeg

You need to use a sealant on the threads before installing the fittings.
CD7B30AC-A437-4A60-A799-CF9F68030AE0.jpeg

These are the fittings I installed. Got them on Amazon
0A0843E7-77A2-475C-9E50-2746814BF1D4.jpeg

I installed locking clips to ensure no slipping of the RO lines.
5868006F-53FE-462D-A0B9-8D9868DE47DB.jpeg

Here’s the finished pump.
8E0C979B-51BC-463D-B14D-D3A01CBFB393.jpeg

As a positive side note, the plastic RO lines no longer vibrate nearly as much as before and everything is much quieter.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back